You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh HD missing

Hello,

i recently formatted my mac due to some lag and thought it was overloaded.

however, now I do not have Macintosh - HD and “APPLE SSD AP1024N Media” simply says “uninitialised”. I have tried to reinstall macOS but it wont give me the option of any disk.

note: I DO NOT care if I lose data or documents or whatever. I simply want my mac to work again.

and yes “show all devices” is on.

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 1:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 5:00 PM

Select the top most item "Apple SSD AP1024...." which is the internal physical SSD. Use the erase tab and erase the physical SSD as GUID partition and APFS (top option). From your picture of Disk Utility it appears you have already erased the physical SSD since there are no partitions/containers shown. Just make sure it is GUID partition and APFS (top option) to install macOS 10.13+.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 15, 2022 5:00 PM in response to JohnDunigan

Select the top most item "Apple SSD AP1024...." which is the internal physical SSD. Use the erase tab and erase the physical SSD as GUID partition and APFS (top option). From your picture of Disk Utility it appears you have already erased the physical SSD since there are no partitions/containers shown. Just make sure it is GUID partition and APFS (top option) to install macOS 10.13+.

Macintosh HD missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.