You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot update MacOS (Big Sur to Monterey)

There's a notification alert on my Software Update icon. But for several weeks now, when I click on it, the Preferences window just goes into a permanent "Checking for Updates" spin.

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, mid-2015). According to the Apple website, it is compatible with Monterey. Currently running Big Sur (MacOS 11.6.1). I have a 500GB hard drive with 200GB free space.

I have tried restarts (multiple times) and shutting down all other applications. I can't even back up my iPad anymore because now that the latter is running iOS 15.2.1, apparently there's some kind of incompatibility. When I try, a dialogue window tries to download an unspecified update before the iPad backup can proceed, but the bar never progresses beyond a dot.

I am assuming the iPad problem is linked to Big Sur. Would appreciate any help anyone can suggest.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 3:18 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Feb 16, 2022 2:21 AM in response to NDeanM

A good option is to always have the computer fully up to date.

The current version of Big Sur as of this week is version 11.6.4

If the Apple Software Applet in system Preferences is spinning and spinning and nothing is presented suggestion

1 - Restart in Safe Mode and attempt the Software Update again.

2 - If still nothing is presented - restart in Normal Mode and try again.

3 - if still no success restart in Recovery Mode ( INTEL Command + r ) and for Apple Silicon and choose Reinstall macOS.

4 - this will pull the lasts version of macOS associated with the Recovery Volume. In this case it should be Big Sur 11.6.4

As for Sync iPad to Big Sur - yes have seen several other users on Big Sur and Monterey experiencing this issue. As of this writing - have not found a reliable solution.

Cannot update MacOS (Big Sur to Monterey)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.