You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Default web browser won't let me choose

The Default web browser choice won't let me choose, there is just a check mark. I can't figure it out. It was Safari and now it is Google, and I don't want Google to be the Default

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 10:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 11:28 AM

Hi,

Safari is a web browser, Google is a search engine. Two different things which you select in two different places.

Browser: Apple Menu > System Preferences > General > Default web browser > select Safari.

Search Engine: Open Safari > Safari Menu > Preferences > Search > Search engine > select something else if you don't want Google

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 16, 2022 11:28 AM in response to johnston553

Hi,

Safari is a web browser, Google is a search engine. Two different things which you select in two different places.

Browser: Apple Menu > System Preferences > General > Default web browser > select Safari.

Search Engine: Open Safari > Safari Menu > Preferences > Search > Search engine > select something else if you don't want Google

Feb 16, 2022 3:18 PM in response to johnston553

Thank you for the explanation. However, the web browser just has a check mark, it is not allowing me to choose anything. I did change the search engine to DuckDuckGo, so thank you for those directions. And, I did think the search engine and browser were same, so that helps.

But I still don't understand the checkmark under Default Web browser.

Feb 16, 2022 3:29 PM in response to johnston553

Do you have another browser installed, such as Firefox? If not, it may just show a checkmark. I can't see on mine because I have Firefox installed too, so it gives me a drop down box to choose between the two. I'm wondering if it just shows the checkmark because you don't have another choice, in which case there's nothing to be done, Safari is your default/only browser. If you want to try it out, you could download Firefox or another browser and see if it then gives you a choice, but if you want Safari, and it's already checked, there's no need to go through the effort.

Feb 16, 2022 4:50 PM in response to johnston553

That's definitely the reason for the check mark. I'm not clear on what happens when you "click on a safe link to go to the web, it goes to Google not Safari." What/where is this "safe link;" where did it come from, how/where is it generated? Where does is say "Google" after that? And this still happens after you switched over to DuckDuckGo?

My Default web browser won't let me choose

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.