You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Macbook Pro - Dell External flicks from on to black, back and forth

Have seen other people out there with the same issue - I have 2 M1 Macbook Pro's at my house and they both do the same thing. Plug in my 2 new Dell S2721QS 4k monitors and immediately one of them will start flashing black and then come back, then black again and so on.

I am connecting these monitors using DP to USB-c cables into the USB-c ports on the machines directly.

I have tried swapping cables, no difference.

I also have a 2019 Intel Macbook Pro and the screens work perfectly for this machine everytime.

In order to resolve this issue, I keep having to adjust the display settings until the screen stops flashing, but this only works for a limited time, the next time I connect the screens or turn the computer on we are back to square one. I can also remove the cable and plug it back in a number of times, and eventually the screen stays on.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 1:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2022 3:55 PM

I had previously bought another DP to USB-c cable and had the same issue.

I have now realised that one of the monitors/cables seems to work everytime - so I swapped that cable to the other monitor and now that one works everytime. So even though I have tried 2 different DP=>USB-c cables on one monitor and had the same results, it seems both of those cables might have been not high quality enough.

I also tried a high quality HDMI cable and it is working.

Finally I tried the good DP => USB-c cable with a USB-c cable extender, and it stopped working. So it would seem that the quality of the cables is really important here, I am not sure of the specs, but if you come across this issue that might be your problem.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 18, 2022 3:55 PM in response to DonH49

I had previously bought another DP to USB-c cable and had the same issue.

I have now realised that one of the monitors/cables seems to work everytime - so I swapped that cable to the other monitor and now that one works everytime. So even though I have tried 2 different DP=>USB-c cables on one monitor and had the same results, it seems both of those cables might have been not high quality enough.

I also tried a high quality HDMI cable and it is working.

Finally I tried the good DP => USB-c cable with a USB-c cable extender, and it stopped working. So it would seem that the quality of the cables is really important here, I am not sure of the specs, but if you come across this issue that might be your problem.

M1 Macbook Pro - Dell External flicks from on to black, back and forth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.