You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emailing Scanned Documents with iPhone SE

I want to email documents to myself or others that I scanned with my iPhone SE, but I can no longer do so. I suddenly have been getting messages that say, "Cannot Send Mail. The message was rejected by the server."

Could you please help me solve this problem? Thanks!

iPhone SE

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 6:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 6:15 PM

You need to check the settings for your mail SMTP server. Check to see if you can send a regular email message to someone from the mail account you are trying to send these documents with. Also, are you trying to send several scanned documents at the same time? Is it possible the size of the combined documents is exceeding your mail providers size restrictions for attachments?

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 16, 2022 6:15 PM in response to BlueRhapsody

You need to check the settings for your mail SMTP server. Check to see if you can send a regular email message to someone from the mail account you are trying to send these documents with. Also, are you trying to send several scanned documents at the same time? Is it possible the size of the combined documents is exceeding your mail providers size restrictions for attachments?

Feb 17, 2022 7:46 AM in response to BlueRhapsody

I'm sorry, but I cannot identify any other problems that would lead to your issue. I suggest that you use the Get Support link at the top of the page here to contact Apple Support for assistance. If you have an Apple Store close by, make a Genius Bar appointment and have it checked there. Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Feb 16, 2022 7:24 PM in response to BlueRhapsody

I just tested scanning a document and mailing on my iPhone. However, I forgot when i did this that my Comcast account is my default account. It went through just fine to my Gmail account. If you Go to Settings><your name>iCloud>scroll all the way to the bottom, tap on Mail. Check Outgoing Mail Server. It should be iCloud SMTP Server. Tap on it and make sure that Primary Server has iCloud SMTP Server is On. Go back and tap on Advanced. Check S/MIME and make sure that Sign and Encrypt by Default are set to No.

Feb 18, 2022 7:37 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hello Chris,

Yesterday, I followed your advice and before going to the Apple store, I called to make an appointment for technical help. Luckily, an Apple technician was able to help me.

Apparently, my iPhone SE came with a pdf scanner app. It’s in the Notes app. Go figure! He walked me through the steps to scan a document with my phone and email it to another email account. My scan arrived promptly with no problem.

Apparently, my phone suddenly started having trouble working with the free pdf scanner app that I downloaded in 2020. Since the technician wasn’t familiar with Genius Scan and how to get it to function, he guided me to Notes.

Once again, thanks for all your help and guidance. In the end, you led me to the solution! 😊👍

Feb 19, 2022 6:31 AM in response to BlueRhapsody

Wow, now I feel really silly. I thought all along you were using the ability to scan the document with the Notes app and then share it via email. That is why I was having such difficulty understanding the problem. I was not aware that you were using a separate app to do the scanning. I'm glad you were able to get it worked out and are now able to scan and email documents. This can highlight how some things are difficult to diagnose via messages like this. If we don't ask the right questions, we may not get all the information we need. Take care and thanks for sharing the outcome with me.

Emailing Scanned Documents with iPhone SE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.