You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Labels / Tags questions

I've been using a Mac since 1985 and have only recently begun to explore the use of colored labels and text tags. It seems to be a daunting task though it shouldn't be (it's me, I know).

1. Looking in the Finder Preferences pane where you can add and edit tags, my list of tags is well over 300, and I have no idea how they got there. The list is too long and the choices are 99% unuseable for me. I selected All and selected Delete, but they remain untouched. How do I go about removing this list so I can begin creating tags that are meaningful to me.
  2. I created a tag and named it Alpha, colored it blue. I tagged a number of .mobi files with that tag. Later, I used the Finder's Search, and entered Alpha. At no time did a dropdown Alpha section appear, so I couldn't locate those files tagged Alpha. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you,

Tod

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 3:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 3:41 PM

The tags get there as files you download from the internet frequently come with tags attached. That will continue to be a problem going forward. You can remove tags selecting them and right clicking and selecting delete. Command-click will allow you to select more than one.

Did you include tags in your search?

In the Finder: Command - f brings up the search window. At the drop down where it says 'Kind' click and select 'Other'

A window of search terms opens. Select Tags and click the box to include it in the menu.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 17, 2022 3:41 PM in response to TodFromIndiana

The tags get there as files you download from the internet frequently come with tags attached. That will continue to be a problem going forward. You can remove tags selecting them and right clicking and selecting delete. Command-click will allow you to select more than one.

Did you include tags in your search?

In the Finder: Command - f brings up the search window. At the drop down where it says 'Kind' click and select 'Other'

A window of search terms opens. Select Tags and click the box to include it in the menu.

Feb 17, 2022 7:43 PM in response to Yer_Man

@Yer Man

Thank you for explaining how so many tags populated that list. Your second sentence implies that users simply can't turn off tag collection. ☹️🤬

I tried your suggestion for deleting tags but, while Finder did display a pop-up stating that they were being deleted from a huge number of files, they didn't disappear from the Tags list. It's that list that I want to eliminate so that tags I create will be manageable (side complaint: so many of Apple's windows of lists such as this or the list of startup items lack the ability to expand downwards to display a larger number of options). Is there a possible way of cleaning this list using Terminal?

The rest of your post describing how to search by Tag was also quite helpful. Using CMD-f is the key to the answer.

I am grateful for your help.

Tod

Feb 18, 2022 12:24 AM in response to TodFromIndiana

Your second sentence implies that users simply can't turn off tag collection. ☹️🤬

Tags aren't being "collected". They're being recognised. It sees a tag. There's no way for it to identify which tags you have attached and tags someone else has.

while Finder did display a pop-up stating that they were being deleted from a huge number of files, they didn't disappear from the Tags list.

That's odd as they do disappear from the list here. What happens after a restart? My ignorance of the Terminal is vast and unending.

Labels / Tags questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.