You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Mac Mini to MacBook Air 2013?

Hi, trying to connect my MacBook Air (2013) to my M1 Mac mini for use as an 2nd external monitor. I have 1 external monitor connected already to the Mini via HDMI so according to specs, I should be able to connect the Mini using the Thunderbolt 3 port to a USB A on the Macbook? Or does it need to be Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 3? I've seen threads that Thunderbolt to Mini Display can work, I just don't have the correct cables currently.

Any advice on connecting these two machines would be appreciated. Thanks.

Update:

Tried the Thunderbolt 3 to USB A-didn't work.

Tried HDMI to HDMI/Mini Display adapter-didn't work

Tried Thunderbolt 3 to Display Port/Mini Display adapter-didn't work

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 1:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 1:34 PM

The M1 Mac Mini and MacBook Air do not support Target Display Mode using a cabled connection.

You can use Screen Sharing over your local network, but that is not the same as using a second external display with the Mac Mini.

If you want dual displays for the Mac Mini, then you need to connect a second external display to it.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-mini/connect-a-display-apd8e4fbbb97/mac

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 19, 2022 1:34 PM in response to Jonathoneskel

The M1 Mac Mini and MacBook Air do not support Target Display Mode using a cabled connection.

You can use Screen Sharing over your local network, but that is not the same as using a second external display with the Mac Mini.

If you want dual displays for the Mac Mini, then you need to connect a second external display to it.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-mini/connect-a-display-apd8e4fbbb97/mac

M1 Mac Mini to MacBook Air 2013?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.