You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use a LaCie External Hard Drive with a USBC port on a 2014 Mac Book Pro with USB 2?

I'm looking for a new external hard drive to back up my 2014 Mac Book Pro. Most of the drives I find online use a USBC or USB3 connection. My laptop has an older USB2 connection. Is there an adapter I can use to connect the drive? If so, will it work correctly without much issues?

I'm not super concerned with speed of data transfer - doesn't need to be lightning fast!

Thanks!

A

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 2:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 3:30 PM

Apple does not choose to use the "Blue insert" convention to designate USB-3.

MacBook Pro from mid-2012 onward have USB 3 ports or better.

to run a USB-C drive, all one needs is a cheap adapter, USB-A to USB-C. Some are sold on Amazon as cheap as two for US$10. Be sure to get the sexes the right way around, as both types are available.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 19, 2022 3:30 PM in response to aspransy

Apple does not choose to use the "Blue insert" convention to designate USB-3.

MacBook Pro from mid-2012 onward have USB 3 ports or better.

to run a USB-C drive, all one needs is a cheap adapter, USB-A to USB-C. Some are sold on Amazon as cheap as two for US$10. Be sure to get the sexes the right way around, as both types are available.

Can I use a LaCie External Hard Drive with a USBC port on a 2014 Mac Book Pro with USB 2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.