You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Reset Password on Login Screen - There was an error connecting to the Apple ID server

I have forgotten my MacBook Air login password. Now, when I try to reset the password by logging into my iCloud account it gives me an error “There was an error connecting to the Apple ID server”. Even if I try to reset my iCloud ID and password, it says there is no internet connection when my internet is connected to a stable Wi-if network.

Can someone help?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 4:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 10:44 AM

If I Command+R, I see the apple logo and then I land on the my account whose password I have forgotten. I have tried this multiple times but I do not land on a screen where I have utilities in top tool bar. The only option on landing screen is to enter my account password.

I have tried Recovery OS as well(Command + R + S), this takes me to a screen where I am asked to choose an option to reset password. On the top right nav, I see option to restart, shutdown or choose startup disk(I don’t know the password to unlock the disk).

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 22, 2022 10:44 AM in response to PRP_53

If I Command+R, I see the apple logo and then I land on the my account whose password I have forgotten. I have tried this multiple times but I do not land on a screen where I have utilities in top tool bar. The only option on landing screen is to enter my account password.

I have tried Recovery OS as well(Command + R + S), this takes me to a screen where I am asked to choose an option to reset password. On the top right nav, I see option to restart, shutdown or choose startup disk(I don’t know the password to unlock the disk).

Feb 20, 2022 6:41 AM in response to joshuafinny

Reset Computer Password  for the Administrator Account Password

Intel Computer

1 - Restart computer and immediately hold Command + r keys

2 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

3 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

4 - Press Return key

5 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

Apple Silicon M1 Computer 

1 - Choose Apple menu > > Shut Down.

2 - Press and hold the power button on your Mac until you see “Loading startup options.”

3 - Click Options, then click Continue. 

4 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

5 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

6 - Press Return key

7 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

Feb 22, 2022 1:41 PM in response to joshuafinny

Based upon you previous information stating this is an Intel Computer, I have to guess;

1 - Either one is using an External Bluetooth Keyboard which is not functioning properly. For best results use a USB wired Keyboard

2 - or the External Bluetooth Keyboard is not connected to the computer at the time of powering up

3 - User error

4 - The computer is an actually a Apple Silicon ARMS based computer

Should it be an Apple Silicon ARMS computer - refer to below

Apple Silicon M1 Computer 

1 - Choose Apple menu > > Shut Down.

2 - Press and hold the power button on your Mac until you see “Loading startup options.”

3 - Click Options, then click Continue. 

4 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

5 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

6 - Press Return key

7 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

Unable to Reset Password on Login Screen - There was an error connecting to the Apple ID server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.