You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID and password "incorrect," but isn't

I need to upgrade my software from Yosemite to Big Sur (2013 Macbook Air), but my Apple ID login keeps telling me I have the wrong password. Reset it several times, same error. This computer used a different Apple ID in the past, and I'm wondering if that is the issue? Is it confused, and how can I help it? I'm able to log in online (here and in iCloud). The problem is local and I haven't been able to upgrade for several software upgrades because of it. Now I'm so behind that Chrome isn't supported. Help!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 5:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 6:12 AM

sjhs9009,

We're sorry to hear that the issue has persisted despite attempting alternate install methods. Since this behavior has persisted we would recommend reviewing support options in your region. You can do so here: Get Support

Regards.

6 replies

Feb 21, 2022 11:33 AM in response to sjhs9009

Hello sjhs9009,

From what you've described it is likely that your Mac is asking for the password of the Apple ID previously associated with the device. If you have access to that Apple ID we recommend trying that password, or recovering it as outlined here: If you forgot your Apple ID password

We also recommend checking the Apple ID settings of your Mac in System Preferences to ensure the correct account is signed in.

Best regards.

Feb 22, 2022 1:53 PM in response to Drew_7

Sorry to say it, but none of these options worked. Once the reinstall MacOS came up, it rejected me again when it asked me to login to complete the install. I also tried from a guest user profile to sign in to ITunes, App Store, and to reinstall the OS. Each time I get the MFA to my phone, so I know the login should be working.

Any other ideas? I've restarted at least 20 times today, with each try. The iCloud user is current, the login is correct. Thank you!

Apple ID and password "incorrect," but isn't

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.