You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn off notification sound for "Updates Available"?

This notification sound for updates from the App Store is truly annoying when it occurs at random times like 3am. I cannot find a way to silence this in the Notifications & Focus systems preference. Am I missing something? I would prefer not to mute all sounds on my desktop to accomplish this!

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 10:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 11:21 AM

Do you have this slideswitch set to Off and all of these checkboxes unchecked?

If you do and are sill getting notifications then boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and toggle the switch on and off and then reboot normally and test to see if the problem persists.

Another solution which would also help with system and application performance would be to shut down the Mac at night. Boot time shouldn't be long, mine is about 35 seconds, and shouldn't be an inconvenience. Rebooting clears out system and app temporary cache and swap files which will help performance.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 21, 2022 11:21 AM in response to DS2007

Do you have this slideswitch set to Off and all of these checkboxes unchecked?

If you do and are sill getting notifications then boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and toggle the switch on and off and then reboot normally and test to see if the problem persists.

Another solution which would also help with system and application performance would be to shut down the Mac at night. Boot time shouldn't be long, mine is about 35 seconds, and shouldn't be an inconvenience. Rebooting clears out system and app temporary cache and swap files which will help performance.

Feb 21, 2022 11:04 AM in response to DS2007

There isn't the granularity you are looking for. However, try System Preferences -> Sound -> Sound Effects and uncheck the "Play user interface sound effects". That will turn off ALL the sound effects, from emptying the trash, finishing a file copy, etc. That might not be what you want but it will likely eliminate the Apple Update notification sound.

How to turn off notification sound for "Updates Available"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.