You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading to Big Sur

I have asked Apple about upgrading from Mojave to Big Sur but to no avail. All I ever get is being directed to Monterey. Don't want this OS at present as some programs won't work on it. Talking with Apple support has not helped. Has anyone found a way to download Big Sur?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 2:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 3:19 PM

Back up your data, check your applications for compatibility, and click on Big Sur. If you get a Mac App Store preview page, change the https at the beginning of its address to macappstore.

Catalina and newer won't run 32-bit software; download and use Go64 to scan for it. To look up other programs, click here.

(214588)

6 replies

Feb 21, 2022 3:03 PM in response to warner144

warner144 Said:

"Upgrading to Big Sur: I have asked Apple about upgrading from Mojave to Big Sur but to no avail. All I ever get is being directed to Monterey. Don't want this OS at present as some programs won't work on it. Talking with Apple support has not helped. Has anyone found a way to download Big Sur?"

-------

Determining which Update(s) will Install:

Verify Compatibility:

A. Start Here: Learn About Compatibility and how to Identify your Specific Mac Model - Apple Support

B. How to Verify:

I. Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

then...

II. Compare the Results:

See if the Model you found is shown here:

III. If Compatible:

Back Up your Mac First:  Be certain you Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reconfiguration.

Feb 21, 2022 3:21 PM in response to warner144

warner144 Said:

"Upgrading to Big Sur: I have followed your suggestions before and my MacBook Pro (early 2015) qualifies to upgrade to Big Sur. Not even two phone calls to Apple Support have shown where to locate a Big Sur download."

-------

Getting Big Sur:

Perform the backup***, and then get it here: macOS Big Sur on the App Store - Apple Support

***Back Up your Mac First:  Be certain you Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reconfiguration.

Feb 21, 2022 3:34 PM in response to warner144

warner144 Said:

"Thanks for trying to help.: I may be forced to go to Monterey and hope that some of my 32 bit apps may be upgraded to 64 bit someday otherwise they won't work."

-------

You are welcome.

For Thought...

About Getting these to Work:

A. Reinstall with the Correct Version:

You might want to contact the Developers, requesting the 64-bit installer. You'd uninstall your 32-bit version, and then install your 64-bit version. You may need a new key.

B. Alternative Applications:

Also, try alternative applications. For instance, use Open Office as an alternative to purchasing the correct version.

C. Run this Through a Virtual Machine:

Lastly, consider using a Virtual Machine (Windows-in-a-window). You might find a Windows version of the application (Windows version). All would be accessed and would operate as desired on the VM. Virtual Machine applications include VMWare Fusion and ParallelsLearn more here: What Is a Virtual Machine? - VMware Support.

Important:

D. Where to Get Drivers: You must get the drivers from the manufacturer, and none other. This is because, getting it elsewhere, you may end up installing junk files.

Upgrading to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.