You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

very slow loading page, typing text and

My iMac has suddenly become very slow when making any selection of applications, websites and even typing this question. A rotating circle appears before selection is acquired.

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 2:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 3:50 AM

Hi blackbird52

Try a Safe-Mode boot first which will carry out a basic file system check and clear various system caches that may have become bloated or corrupted.

A Safe-Mode boot is slow and your keyboard and mouse commands will appear "laggy', this is normal.

There is no need to do anything in Safe-Mode other than allow the Mac to boot in Safe-Mode to your user desktop, leave the Mac alone for ten minutes while background boot-up tasks complete and then restart the Mac.

Upon restarting the Mac will be back in Normal-Mode and should respond to mouse and keyboard again at normal speeds.

Beyond the above, do you have any third-party Anti-Virus or "cleaning" applications running, some of these are known to interfere with normal operations of a Mac. If this applies try disabling/removing these and test again.

This linked document describes how to use Safe-Mode:

How to use safe mode on your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

HTH.

Will.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 25, 2022 3:50 AM in response to blackbird52

Hi blackbird52

Try a Safe-Mode boot first which will carry out a basic file system check and clear various system caches that may have become bloated or corrupted.

A Safe-Mode boot is slow and your keyboard and mouse commands will appear "laggy', this is normal.

There is no need to do anything in Safe-Mode other than allow the Mac to boot in Safe-Mode to your user desktop, leave the Mac alone for ten minutes while background boot-up tasks complete and then restart the Mac.

Upon restarting the Mac will be back in Normal-Mode and should respond to mouse and keyboard again at normal speeds.

Beyond the above, do you have any third-party Anti-Virus or "cleaning" applications running, some of these are known to interfere with normal operations of a Mac. If this applies try disabling/removing these and test again.

This linked document describes how to use Safe-Mode:

How to use safe mode on your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

HTH.

Will.

Feb 27, 2022 8:56 AM in response to Will_G_Astro

Thank you Will, I have tried your suggestion and have seen a marked improvement.

I remain suspicious though about a very recent announcement from my provider regarding a necessary change in the anti-virus software provided by them. They are changing the supplied security package from McAfee to Norton so that may be a root, or contributing factor to my problem.

I'll let you know. Thanks again for helping.

Regards

Blackbird52

very slow loading page, typing text and

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.