You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Secondary display goes black on wakeup

I recently bought this MacBook pro 14' 2021 model. I have it connected to DELL SE2419HR via the dedicated HDMI port with a standard HDMI cable. While the normal usage, it works seamlessly even after 10hours of use.

The issue is happening when I sleep/close lid the mac and wakes it up later. At the time of wakeup, the secondary display powers on and with a completely black screen. however, I can move the mouse from the in-built monitor to the secondary monitor but nothing more or less. The only working solution for me is currently to unplug the HDMI cable from the laptop and replug it. This does not happen all the time either, it only occurs in random wake-ups, more like 2-3 times for every 5 wake-ups.

This extremely frustrates me when I open the laptop for something quick and the second monitor suddenly shows black so that I need to do the above routine which is very inconvenient. I can assure that the cable is in its best condition and has no damages or anything. and this problem occurs only at the time of wakeup.

Any help would be appreciated if this is identified as a current issue or something.

Have a great day,

Scoopa

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 8:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 8:11 AM

Thanks for the reply,

I think I made it to work. I tried changing the order of the displays in the preferences -> displays and somehow it solved the issue even though I'm back at the default configuration now. I'll update the thread if I get into trouble again in the future regarding this, but I hope not as I haven't had any issues for about a week now.

Have a great day!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 6, 2022 8:11 AM in response to ManJor

Thanks for the reply,

I think I made it to work. I tried changing the order of the displays in the preferences -> displays and somehow it solved the issue even though I'm back at the default configuration now. I'll update the thread if I get into trouble again in the future regarding this, but I hope not as I haven't had any issues for about a week now.

Have a great day!

Feb 26, 2022 10:58 AM in response to MrScoopa

Hi there MrScoopa,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We're happy to help with this trouble you're having with the external display and your MacBook Pro. First, let's try adjusting the computers sleep settings. From the top toolbar click Battery, and then click either Battery or Power Adapter. Using the slider for "Turn display off after", set that to "Never". You can also check “Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off” in the Power Adapter pane. More info on that can be found here:

If your Mac sleeps or wakes unexpectedly

Let us know the outcome, and we can go from there if needed.

Cheers!

Secondary display goes black on wakeup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.