You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a bootable USB drive

Hello everyone.

I would like some help creating a bootable macOS Catalina USB drive because so far, it's not working for me.

I have downloaded the Catalina installer and it's sitting on an external hard drive. The file path is /Volumes/Adam's FreeAgent/macOS/Install macOS Catalina.app

I would like to create the bootable volume on my 32GB USB stick. The file path is /Volumes/ADAM'S 32GB

I typed this into Terminal thinking it would work, but I jus get the error "command not found"

sudo /Volumes/Adam's FreeAgent/macOS/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/ADAM'S 32GB

Could someone please point out what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 1:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 1:49 PM

Reread How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

The installer should be in the Applications folder for one thing. I wouldn't use an apostrophe in a volume name for another.

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 1, 2022 2:31 AM in response to dialabrain

Hello and thank you for your reply.

I'm a complete novice to this, so I didn't realise that the installer has to be in the Applications folder or that I couldn't use apostrophes.

I moved the installer to the Applications folder as you suggested. I then changed he name of my USB drive from ADAM'S 32GB to one word without an apostrophe and it worked perfectly.

I would love to understand more about how this process works, why the installer must be in the Applications folder and why I can't use apostrophes, but that's probably a conversation for a different thread :)

Creating a bootable USB drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.