You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power MAC G5 and G4. How can I delete all files from these without using the trash option?

I am trying to wipe a G5 and G4 so I can give them away.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 11:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 6:01 PM

Thank you for the information.

Since the Mac Pro (2008) is not a Power Mac, you may want to have a look at applicable sections of the following articles:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac – Apple Support (UK)

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-recovery-mode-3674052/

For the older G3 or G4 Mac, you would need a bootable system/utility disc. If not available, there once was a downloadable ISO-file (dban-2.0.0_powerpc.iso) that could be used to burn a bootable CD containing a third-party free wiping utility for PowerPC models. Otherwise, you could also remove the hard drive from the computer (this may be more or less complicated, depending on the exact G3 or G4 model). If the G3 or G4 model is working, and has a FireWire port, there may be other possibilities as well.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 4, 2022 6:01 PM in response to catrionaw46

Thank you for the information.

Since the Mac Pro (2008) is not a Power Mac, you may want to have a look at applicable sections of the following articles:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac – Apple Support (UK)

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-recovery-mode-3674052/

For the older G3 or G4 Mac, you would need a bootable system/utility disc. If not available, there once was a downloadable ISO-file (dban-2.0.0_powerpc.iso) that could be used to burn a bootable CD containing a third-party free wiping utility for PowerPC models. Otherwise, you could also remove the hard drive from the computer (this may be more or less complicated, depending on the exact G3 or G4 model). If the G3 or G4 model is working, and has a FireWire port, there may be other possibilities as well.

Mar 5, 2022 4:41 PM in response to catrionaw46

You're welcome!

I should add that Macs with FireWire ports can use (FireWire) target disk mode.

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode – Apple Support (UK)

This means that one computer could act as an external hard drive when connected to the host. That can be useful if one wants to gain access to the target computer hard disk by running a utility from the host.

A Mac Pro 2008 has FireWire ports, a G3/G4 may have, and (depending on the model/year) a Mac mini may as well.

Mar 4, 2022 3:33 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thanks for replying so promptly. The one I'm working on is my late husband's machine, it's is a MacPro 2008 model running 10.10.5. I can only find one disc (System X). No utility discs seem to have survived. I just want to wipe it clean so I can give it away (it's a really strong machine and still working great, albeit on outdated software). I already transferred all important files to my MacMini. I tried erasing files in lots, but I didn't realize the last load was so large and it's too big to empty via "secure empty trash", and I haven't been able to move it back onto the main drive. The other machine is older, (G3 or 4 as far as I can remember) and I'm not even sure if it will even boot as I haven't yet tried.

Power MAC G5 and G4. How can I delete all files from these without using the trash option?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.