You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

constant disconnecting my external ssd

I have a 2021 MacMini (16GB 1TB) that is a week old, I also use a satitech docking station which connects via thunderbolt/USB-C, in the doocking station there is an m.2 1TB SSD.

From the time I connected everything I am constantly getting disconnect notifications because the SSD seems to be constantly disconnecting and reconnecting, in 18hrs today I received over 650 notifications and this line in syslog that keeps repeating:

I have spoken to support 3 times with no answer, this has been an issue for over 2-3yrs as I see a lot of talk on the forums about it, some of them had to have their hardware replaced.

I just need to know if is this a hardware problem or is it software, either way I need help from Apple and they act like they haven't seen the issue before! Which is a touch ridiculous.

I am now asking here in the hope that someone has had the same thing happen and have found a solution or I am going to have to take it to an Apple Store which will cost me another days work...

Thanks, all replies appreciated

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 1:32 AM

13 replies

Mar 5, 2022 6:51 PM in response to hcsitas

this is my power preferences:

this is my power management settings output from terminal (note I have increased the disktosleep time) :

~ % sudo pmset -g

Password:

System-wide power settings:

Currently in use:

disksleep      1410065408

powernap       1

womp         1

networkoversleep   0

sleep        0 (sleep prevented by powerd, sharingd, bluetoothd)

Sleep On Power Button 1

ttyskeepawake    1

tcpkeepalive     1

autorestart     1

standby       0

displaysleep     180

Mar 5, 2022 5:18 AM in response to OPK

Did check to see if the m.2 SSD is compatible with the dock? There are many combinations of SSD blade and enclosure/dock that have been found not to work well with particular docks/enclosures with Macs and even on PCs.

Check with the manufacturer and see if the have a list of compatible SSD blades or at least a list of ones that won't work.

Mar 5, 2022 6:08 AM in response to OPK

What m2 SSD are you using in the Satechi Dock?

Have you tried connecting the Satechi to the M1 Mac Mini's other TB port?

This is not Apple problem and you should contact Satechi for support, a replacement or refund.

https://support.satechi.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Sadly I seen lots of unhappy Satechi Docks folks and recommend replacing it with the OWC Envoy Express.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/envoy-express/thunderbolt-3

Mar 5, 2022 2:18 PM in response to den.thed

HI, I am using a samsung evo m.2 1TB in the dock (non nVME m.2 as advised by satitech the dock does'nt support nVME), I have tried everything, changing ports, increasing disk sleep time, safe mode etc nothing is helping.

I am nearly ready to throw it out the window but it wasn't a cheap dock. I might take your advice and get an OWC dock.

Thanks for the replies guys

Mar 5, 2022 6:26 PM in response to OPK

I’m getting nowhere with this… it’s an expensive paperweight, absolutely useless to me. I have can ordered this one now USB C Docking Station,18 in 1 Quadruple Display Docking Station with 4K HDMI+SSD Enclosure+VGA Display+Ethernet+4 USB,+SD for MacBook Pro Air, Dell XPS 13, HP x360 and More Type-C Laptops https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B09573939X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_26W0M6M2QRADK12TK2FB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

constant disconnecting my external ssd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.