You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to transfer data from old iMac to a mac mini m1?

how does one transfer all the data over from old iMac 2008 to a mac mini m1?

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 2:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 2:49 PM

Hello,

Which OS version are you running on the old iMac? New, I think it would have been in the Yosemite or El Capitan range so both the iMac and Mac mini would need to be one the same Wi-Fi network and near each other to transfer wirelessly. Below I coped the pre-transfer information from the article you asked this question from. If you have tried it unsuccessfully I think steps 3 or 4 could be to blame.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

"Get ready

1. Install all available software updates on both computers. If your old Mac isn't using OS X Lion or later, and your new Mac isn't using OS X Mavericks or later, follow the Mountain Lion migration steps instead.
  2. If both computers are using macOS Sierra or later, place them near each other with Wi-Fi  turned on. If either one is using OS X El Capitan or earlier, make sure that both are on the same network.
  3. On your old Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Sharing. Make sure that a name appears in the Computer Name field.
  4. If you installed antivirus or firewall software on either Mac, turn that software off until after migration is complete."

I hope this helps.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 6, 2022 2:49 PM in response to dcameragirl

Hello,

Which OS version are you running on the old iMac? New, I think it would have been in the Yosemite or El Capitan range so both the iMac and Mac mini would need to be one the same Wi-Fi network and near each other to transfer wirelessly. Below I coped the pre-transfer information from the article you asked this question from. If you have tried it unsuccessfully I think steps 3 or 4 could be to blame.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

"Get ready

1. Install all available software updates on both computers. If your old Mac isn't using OS X Lion or later, and your new Mac isn't using OS X Mavericks or later, follow the Mountain Lion migration steps instead.
  2. If both computers are using macOS Sierra or later, place them near each other with Wi-Fi  turned on. If either one is using OS X El Capitan or earlier, make sure that both are on the same network.
  3. On your old Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Sharing. Make sure that a name appears in the Computer Name field.
  4. If you installed antivirus or firewall software on either Mac, turn that software off until after migration is complete."

I hope this helps.

Mar 6, 2022 2:59 PM in response to Scott-he-him

reason for intended purchase of mac mini would be to use the old iMac as the screen/monitor, along with the keyboard and mouse. without mac mini being connected to a monitor, unsure how any of the selections to migrate could occur,without getting another monitor, just to do the transfer. would a transfer even be necessary? have been told by apple techs, using the old iMac with the mac mini is possible, but do not want all data wiped out or lost,; yes i do have an external hd for back up now. i know some have gutted the old iMacs and put in the mac mini, but that is not my intention.

how to transfer data from old iMac to a mac mini m1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.