You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my iMac 27-late 2012 really obsolete?

Is my iMac 27-late 2012 really obsolete? I'm starting to get notifications that my apps won't run on Catalina soon. Is it time to buy a new iMac? Not to be cheap but it runs great, plenty of memory and storage left. I'm guessing the processor is the issue.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 11:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2022 2:34 PM

Some apps I tried to download recently needed a higher version ios (which kind of confused me since I'm updated to El Capitan v 10.15.7 which appears to be the latest for my computer), one app specifically called for an upgraded processor (guess I won't be using that app), and yesterday an app which I do use fairly regularly specifically stated future versions will require Big Sur which really prompted me to start looking into this situation. I've noticed a little bit of lag recently when streaming video while working which I attributed to poor internet speeds. But maybe could be the processor not helping the situation. I have the 27-inch, Late 2012; 2.9 GHz quad-core Intel core i5; 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB. If it's time for a new computer, then I guess I need to break down and do some shopping. This computer has lasted longer than any we've had previously. I'm contributing the long life on this one to the fact that no children or non-family members have access to it (aka no sketchy internet browsing) and no gaming. Other than streaming TV or movies while I work the only other thing I do that might stress the processor is occasional video editing. If common apps are changing and apple isn't supporting updates for my computer, then it's disappointing (because it does work for me so far) but maybe it might be time. You seem knowledgeable so if I need to spend some money to keep up with technology then so be it. I'm just kind of bummed that something that's worked so well might be at the end of it's technology life. FYI - I realized this week that my newest TV is also more than 10 years old -- which just means I have turned into my parents.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 8, 2022 2:34 PM in response to John Galt

Some apps I tried to download recently needed a higher version ios (which kind of confused me since I'm updated to El Capitan v 10.15.7 which appears to be the latest for my computer), one app specifically called for an upgraded processor (guess I won't be using that app), and yesterday an app which I do use fairly regularly specifically stated future versions will require Big Sur which really prompted me to start looking into this situation. I've noticed a little bit of lag recently when streaming video while working which I attributed to poor internet speeds. But maybe could be the processor not helping the situation. I have the 27-inch, Late 2012; 2.9 GHz quad-core Intel core i5; 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB. If it's time for a new computer, then I guess I need to break down and do some shopping. This computer has lasted longer than any we've had previously. I'm contributing the long life on this one to the fact that no children or non-family members have access to it (aka no sketchy internet browsing) and no gaming. Other than streaming TV or movies while I work the only other thing I do that might stress the processor is occasional video editing. If common apps are changing and apple isn't supporting updates for my computer, then it's disappointing (because it does work for me so far) but maybe it might be time. You seem knowledgeable so if I need to spend some money to keep up with technology then so be it. I'm just kind of bummed that something that's worked so well might be at the end of it's technology life. FYI - I realized this week that my newest TV is also more than 10 years old -- which just means I have turned into my parents.

Mar 8, 2022 10:37 AM in response to cae_east

This one is almost five years older than yours and it runs perfectly ok:

El Capitan wasn't coping well with the original 4 GB. Adding another 2 GB extended its useful life a number of years. But if your Mac is running well with what it has there is no need to change a thing.

Its original spinning hard disk drive is still going strong, but I installed additional memory a while ago (which is not a supported configuration). Replacing the hard disk drive with a solid state drive would increase its performance even more, but since it runs well enough with the original HDD I haven't bothered (yet).

I'm guessing the processor is the issue.

Not exactly. I surmise the messages you are getting address Apple's decision to abandon support for 32-bit apps and processes; a decision they made about a decade ago. If that does not describe the warnings you're encountering, describe what they are.

Mar 8, 2022 2:55 PM in response to cae_east

I know what you mean. If you have a real need to install or update apps that require a newer macOS version, then you're stuck having to upgrade your hardware. You can choose to defer those needs as long as possible; just because a new app version is released doesn't mean you have to use it. Unfortunately that's the way it goes. App developers always want to push you into using their latest products, after all what do they care if your hardware is too old. They already got you to pay for their product once, so why not at least try to convince you to pay for a newer one also. If that strategy doesn't work, they'll just make it too inconvenient for you not to upgrade.

There is absolutely no incentive for app developers to support old versions of their same product. Other than loyalty perhaps, and I've been happy to support a few developers who started out really small years ago, and continued to support Apple, even when Apple didn't support them.

I realized this week that my newest TV is also more than 10 years old -- which just means I have turned into my parents.

It happens.

Mar 13, 2022 3:51 PM in response to cae_east

You're right! I faced the same conundrum several months ago. My 2011 iMac was obsolete. So I chose to buy a new M1 MacBook Air. However, I do like multitasking on two screens. So I bought a 2018 INTEL MacMini to use my old iMac as the GREAT DISPLAY it is by enabling Target Display Mode on the iMac. Over time, I'll reach the end of that usability for the 2011 iMac too. Seems like a shame doesn't it? I'm not aware of other uses for such old Macs because I am not a hobbyist. Indeed, my mid 2009 15" MacBook Pro is obsolete too. Of course we're tempted to extend the use of these excellent computing platforms because there's nothing wrong with the hardware. I upgraded, both, my iMac and my MacBook Pro to SDD and Maxed the RAM; that just slows the dying usability due to Apple OS Obsolescence. If your Mac isn't Apple Supported anymore then hobbyists may have the experience to repurpose it. I guess I'm spoiled! Over time Apple does a great job of designing Operating Systems, maintaining very useful apps such as KeyChain, and supporting Apple currently active Equipment and OS. I choose to use the best equipment for as long as I can. Yes - it is hard to let go of a, formerly, superior computer & OS!

Mar 13, 2022 4:00 PM in response to ChipDale

BTW - my 93 year old brother is holding onto his 2011 iMac. But he has no concept of what works and what doesn't. His Son and I are coaching him through the steps of replacing Software which, no longer, works on that iMac, and that's excruciating since my brother is spoiled by the great 2011 iMac he's used so long. Yeah, there are work arounds such as using apps which will, just work, with such a old Apple OS; but it's very temping to reach for the New Apple Product. I just replaced my iPhone too for the latest & greatest Apple product.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.