You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey update rendered my iMac useless

Updated to Monterey from High Sierra, checking all the requirements; my late 2015 iMac was on the list, I have over 100GBs of free space, let’s do it! Downloaded it. Computer restarts -gets stuck on black screen Apple logo ‘less than one minute remaining’ -stuck there for hrs. Tried ’Safe Mode’ start up. Reinstalled ’High Sierra’ then hit with ‘MacOS could not be installed on your computer’. Returned to safe mode, go to Disk Utility - use Disk First Aid, says it’s done. Try again to install ’High Sierra’. Once again ‘could not be installed…’ WTF? All of this because I wanted to update my OS? This is outrageous. Help is appreciated.

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 8:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 9:31 AM

When these things happen it is usually because the downloaded file got corrupted and could not be installed. I suspect that you were using WiFi to do the download. It is too slow for these very large files and often fails. If so, then use a connection with an Ethernet cable and do a new download and it should go well. In my experience the download should take around 45 minutes, more or less and then the installation can take up to an hour, more or less, for Monterey with multiple automatic restarts.

Also, this is an upgrade, not an update. An upgrade is when a newer operating system is installed and an update is when a newer version of the same operating system is installed.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 9, 2022 9:31 AM in response to Mitch_Wayne

When these things happen it is usually because the downloaded file got corrupted and could not be installed. I suspect that you were using WiFi to do the download. It is too slow for these very large files and often fails. If so, then use a connection with an Ethernet cable and do a new download and it should go well. In my experience the download should take around 45 minutes, more or less and then the installation can take up to an hour, more or less, for Monterey with multiple automatic restarts.

Also, this is an upgrade, not an update. An upgrade is when a newer operating system is installed and an update is when a newer version of the same operating system is installed.

Monterey update rendered my iMac useless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.