You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Redirection Virus

Hello,

I am facing this issue. Every time I try to search in safari it redirects me to other sites like searching with chilisearch or nearbyme. I tried to empty caches and delete history, delete plugins, delete some files from library or apps from applications (i didn’t found something) and I installed malware bytes which found two files and remove but nothing happens.

Does anybody can help?

thank you so much!

Posted on Mar 13, 2022 11:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 1:03 AM

It will help us get a good idea of what is causing your problem if you provide a report of your system, that way we do not have to play 20 questions with you. The report we are requesting does NOT provide any personal information and is extremely safe to use. Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 14, 2022 1:03 AM in response to thodoris_chatz

It will help us get a good idea of what is causing your problem if you provide a report of your system, that way we do not have to play 20 questions with you. The report we are requesting does NOT provide any personal information and is extremely safe to use. Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

Mar 14, 2022 8:10 AM in response to thodoris_chatz

There are 2 issues I see with your system. First is there is no evidence that you backup your computer. This is a problem, however the solution will not address what you wrote in about. However it does need to be addressed!! At the very minimum you should be using Time Machine ( Back up your Mac with Time Machine ) which requires an External Hard Disk which is not expensive. Not backing up is an almost 100% guarantee of lost info. For a External Hard Disk I'd recommend a OWC Mercury Elite Pro.

What I think may be the issue is the adware you have installed. I also see you have Malwarebytes installed and think that may get rid of the problem.

Finally, there are no viruses for Mac OS, you are getting malware confused with a virus, please study what the difference is. You have some malware installed (the adware), the good news is there are NO, ZERO, nada, viruses for Mac OS.

Mar 14, 2022 9:51 PM in response to thodoris_chatz

If you ran Malwarebytes (you don't only download it, you have to run it) it will remove any adware. So open Malwarebytes and let it run and see if it eliminates the adware. Then do the following:

Please restart the computer in Safe Mode per the directions in the  How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Supportlink. 

Note: If you are using a wireless keyboard please either plug it in using the supplied Lightning cable that shipped with it. If you are using a legacy keyboard or a third-party keyboard that does not have re-charging abilities, please use any USB keyboard. Also note that a Safe Mode restart may require you to hold down the shift key for up to 5 minutes before the computer starts in Safe Mode. You will know it is in Safe Mode when you see “Safe Mode” in the upper right of the display.

After restarting in Safe Mode, then restart normally and test.

Safari Redirection Virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.