You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happend if my photos library is deleted by accident?

My Photos Library is saved in my pictures folder. The only folder that is not backed up by Icloud (as it is not allowed).

While this is just a hypothetical I do want to known the potential consequences if by accident my photo library has been deleted or cannot be recovered. What will happen, how do I retrieve it?

Reason why I am asking is because I do not have an external drive to make a backup, so I just want to know what happens when I cannot retrieve the library. Especially knowing that the photos are synched on Icloud, what will happen then?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 10:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 12:09 PM

Yes you can. But be aware - iCLoud is a sync service not a backup service (see below). You should also be using time machine to be backing up your mac - including the library from the pictures folder...

iCloud is not a backup:

The problem with iCloud for photos (and files if you use iCloud drive) is it makes all the libraries across all the devices the same. While it does protect you from a drive failure - it doesn't protect you from accidental deletion. If you delete photos on your phone, they are deleted on your mac, and from iCloud - same if you delete on your mac - they'll be deleted on your phone. There have been rare cases of system failure also causing deletions (or just user error). There are also numerous examples of library corruption making it very difficult to access photos.

Every few weeks we get someone here saying "I deleted photos - how can I get them back". If it was more than 30 days ago (or they’ve been manually removed from recently deleted), and there is no other backup, the answer is "you can't"

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 14, 2022 12:09 PM in response to Isaura01

Yes you can. But be aware - iCLoud is a sync service not a backup service (see below). You should also be using time machine to be backing up your mac - including the library from the pictures folder...

iCloud is not a backup:

The problem with iCloud for photos (and files if you use iCloud drive) is it makes all the libraries across all the devices the same. While it does protect you from a drive failure - it doesn't protect you from accidental deletion. If you delete photos on your phone, they are deleted on your mac, and from iCloud - same if you delete on your mac - they'll be deleted on your phone. There have been rare cases of system failure also causing deletions (or just user error). There are also numerous examples of library corruption making it very difficult to access photos.

Every few weeks we get someone here saying "I deleted photos - how can I get them back". If it was more than 30 days ago (or they’ve been manually removed from recently deleted), and there is no other backup, the answer is "you can't"

Mar 14, 2022 10:17 AM in response to Isaura01

I'm not sure that I understand your question. You seem to be aware that there is an iCloud Photos option -- see: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

That is quite similar to the iCloud Drive (including Desktops & Document option) for your other files. Both have somewhat similar recovery options.

If you delete a file that is synced with iCloud, you have 30 days to recover them -- see: Recover deleted files on iCloud.com - Apple Support

That is similar with iCloud Photos -- see: Delete and recover photos and videos on iCloud.com - Apple Support and If you're missing photos or videos in the Photos app - Apple Support

Having said, that I use both iCloud Drive and iCloud Photos and I have never had a problem. In spite of that, I insure that I don't have the Optimize Storage option for either turned on in my Mac so that there is always a local copy there and I back my Mac up to an external drive.

Mar 14, 2022 1:22 PM in response to Isaura01

Because I value my Photos Library I do the following (I don't use iCloud)

1. I have a time machine backup
  2. I have a bootable clone
  3. I have an external where I store *only* two copies of my iPhoto Library. I save a new one every month or so and keep the previous one.
  4. The only thing I don't do is keep a copy in another location. If my work allowed it, I would store one in my office. Yer_Man stores one in his trunk.

Mar 14, 2022 10:26 AM in response to FoxFifth

Basically, I have a physical Photos Library (Optimize storage is turned off as well). All the pictures by itself are saved in the Icloud. However, the physical library itself is not allowed to be in the Icloud as well, therefore it is the only file that is officially not on the cloud.

Everywhere I read that when you delete your library all your photos will be gone, metadata, organisation etc.

Is that really the case, or can I just redownload them into a new library from my Icloud (and everything such as meta data, location, organisation will then be the same again?)

I ask this just because I do not have an external drive and want to know if I need to purchase one for only this reason. I hope that makes the question a bit clearer?

Mar 14, 2022 10:54 AM in response to Isaura01

Your photos are in iCloud if you have iCloud Photo Library turned on in your Mac. There would be no point in also adding the Photo library file to iCloud. One example -- when I set up my new Mac around 2 years ago, the way that I moved my photos to the new Mac was simply by turning on iCloud Photos on it. All of my photos automatically synced to it -- including organization albums/folders, location data etc.

I don't have any "Projects" -- they are created by 3rd party app extensions and I don't believe that they sync via iCloud but I haven't tried that.

Mar 14, 2022 11:01 AM in response to FoxFifth

Okay, so if I understand correctly the big Photo Library file that I have, even if I accidentally delete it, I can easily recover my photos etc from Icloud?

I was just afraid that with removing the library you also remove the photos in Icloud.

Like, I need to hand in my Mac for a repair, so I was afraid that if they do a full reset (therefore remove the library) that all my photos and organisation, etc would be gone too. But from your explanation it is then still all stored in Icloud Photos.

What happend if my photos library is deleted by accident?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.