You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some HEIC photos do not appear in iMovie

I have photos that appear in the Photos app, that are in HEIC format. And while they appear in Photos just fine, not all of the HEIC that I can see in Photos appear in iMovie. If I export the photos to JPEG, and reimport them, they appear fine in iMovie. After talking to Apple Support, I was told “There must be something wrong with the photos.” This response makes no sense, as they appear in Photos just fine, AND they will export to JPEG format just fine. Support refused to consider the problem might be in iMovie. Does anyone have any answers for this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 10:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 5:45 PM

I don't know if this might be your situation, but photos that are in the cloud will not be recognized by iMovie. If, for example, you use iCloud Photos and have the optimized storage feature activated some photos may be stored in the cloud to save space, leaving only a thumbnail in the Photos library. The thumbnail would appear fine in the Photos app, but iMovie would not recognize it until the photo is downloaded. Not all photos would be stored in the cloud, but only some, that might explain why not all of your HEIC photos appear in iMovie.

-- Rich

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 14, 2022 5:45 PM in response to zman of Illinois

I don't know if this might be your situation, but photos that are in the cloud will not be recognized by iMovie. If, for example, you use iCloud Photos and have the optimized storage feature activated some photos may be stored in the cloud to save space, leaving only a thumbnail in the Photos library. The thumbnail would appear fine in the Photos app, but iMovie would not recognize it until the photo is downloaded. Not all photos would be stored in the cloud, but only some, that might explain why not all of your HEIC photos appear in iMovie.

-- Rich

Mar 14, 2022 6:22 PM in response to zman of Illinois

To clarify, are you referring to some HEIC photos not being recognized in the Photos library item in the iMovie media sidebar? If so, are all the HEIC photos contained in the same Photos app library that is designated as the system photos library? Have you noticed any recurring difference in the metadata (resolution, size, etc) of the HEIC pics that appear and the one's that do not?

Try deleting/resetting preferences and see if that cures it. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

You can also try redownloading iMovie from your purchases folder in the online app store. First move your present iMovie app from the Applications folder to the trash, but don't empty the trash. You can restore it to the applications folder if the redownload doesn't work.

-- Rich

Mar 14, 2022 6:46 PM in response to Rich839

All photos are stored in one, single Photos Library. When I select a specific folder in iMovie, “some” HEIC pictures appear, and “some” do not appear. All HEIC photos were pictures taken by an iPhone, and generally the same physical size. One recommendation found on Google states to create a new photo library in Photos, select that new library as the new System Library, shut down Photos, then revert back to the original Photos Library and set it as the System Library. That did not resolve the problem.

I can attempt you Preferences recommendation later tonight.

Some HEIC photos do not appear in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.