You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My External Hard drive goes to sleep for no reason.

Hi,

I have two Lacie Hard drives thunderbolt 1 (Lacie BIG + Lacie d2) connected through daisy chain. I used to work these drives with a Mac Pro 2014 until a couple of months ago.

Things were Preety straight forward - going to energy settings I just had to uncheck the "put the hard drives to sleep when possible" and the hard drives never sleeps.

Now I got a new MacBook 16, and obviously using an Apple thunderbolt 1 to thunderbolt 3 adapter to connect my hard drives.

So again, settings are correct - "Put hard drives to speed when possible" unchecked.

But one of the two drives (the Lacie BIG - which is the one connected to computer) keeps sleeping.

Anybody has a similar problem??

Many thanks in advance

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 2:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 5:38 AM

Many have had this issue which is discussed in another link. Most are using a free app that keeps the drive spinning. Like this one: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/31158/keep-drive-spinning

Similar questions

2 replies

My External Hard drive goes to sleep for no reason.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.