You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating to Monterey from Big Sur fails due to Rosetta(!)

Hi

I was about to take the plunge and update my 2021 Mac Mini M1 from Big Sur 11.6.5 to Monterey 12.3 but the process failed: Failed to perform Prepare operation

The error occurs when the bar is at approx. 50%

I also tried updating the Mac in safe mode but without success.

This is what I found in the install.log:

2022-03-15 17:01:28+01 macmini osinstallersetupd[634]: Prepare returned an SUMacControllerErrorDomain error: Error Domain=SUMacControllerError Code=7740 "[SUMacControllerErrorPrepareFailed=7740] Failed to perform Prepare operation: [SUMacControllerError:7313]" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Het voorbereiden van de software-update is mislukt. Probeer het opnieuw., SUMacControllerErrorIndicationsMask=0, NSDebugDescription=[SUMacControllerErrorPrepareFailed=7740] Failed to perform Prepare operation: [SUMacControllerError:7313], NSUnderlyingError=0x12d1423f0 {Error Domain=SUMacControllerError Code=7313 "[SUMacControllerErrorScanNoRosettaUpdateFound=7313] OAHSoftwareUpdateController returned no Rosetta updates found" UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=[SUMacControllerErrorScanNoRosettaUpdateFound=7313] OAHSoftwareUpdateController returned no Rosetta updates found, NSLocalizedDescription=De vereiste Rosetta-update kon niet worden gevonden. Probeer het later opnieuw.}}}
2022-03-15 17:01:28+01 macmini osinstallersetupd[634]: Operation queue failed with error: Error Domain=com.apple.OSInstallerSetup.error Code=1007 "Er heeft zich een fout voorgedaan bij het voorbereiden van de update." UserInfo={NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=Het voorbereiden van de software-update is mislukt. Probeer het opnieuw., NSLocalizedDescription=Er heeft zich een fout voorgedaan bij het voorbereiden van de update., NSUnderlyingError=0x12b043640 {Error Domain=SUMacControllerError Code=7740 "[SUMacControllerErrorPrepareFailed=7740] Failed to perform Prepare operation: [SUMacControllerError:7313]" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Het voorbereiden van de software-update is mislukt. Probeer het opnieuw., SUMacControllerErrorIndicationsMask=0, NSDebugDescription=[SUMacControllerErrorPrepareFailed=7740] Failed to perform Prepare operation: [SUMacControllerError:7313], NSUnderlyingError=0x12d1423f0 {Error Domain=SUMacControllerError Code=7313 "[SUMacControllerErrorScanNoRosettaUpdateFound=7313] OAHSoftwareUpdateController returned no Rosetta updates found" UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=[SUMacControllerErrorScanNoRosettaUpdateFound=7313] OAHSoftwareUpdateController returned no Rosetta updates found, NSLocalizedDescription=De vereiste Rosetta-update kon niet worden gevonden. Probeer het later opnieuw.}}}}}
2022-03-15 17:01:28+01 macmini InstallAssistant[629]: Stopped operation queue with Error Domain=com.apple.OSInstallerSetup.error Code=1007 "Er heeft zich een fout voorgedaan bij het voorbereiden van de update." UserInfo={NSUnderlyingError=0x116c51c20 {Error Domain=SUMacControllerError Code=7740 "[SUMacControllerErrorPrepareFailed=7740] Failed to perform Prepare operation: [SUMacControllerError:7313]" UserInfo={NSUnderlyingError=0x116c18440 {Error Domain=SUMacControllerError Code=7313 "[SUMacControllerErrorScanNoRosettaUpdateFound=7313] OAHSoftwareUpdateController returned no Rosetta updates found" UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=[SUMacControllerErrorScanNoRosettaUpdateFound=7313] OAHSoftwareUpdateController returned no Rosetta updates found, NSLocalizedDescription=De vereiste Rosetta-update kon niet worden gevonden. Probeer het later opnieuw.}}, SUMacControllerErrorIndicationsMask=0, NSDebugDescription=[SUMacControllerErrorPrepareFailed=7740] Failed to perform Prepare operation: [SUMacControllerError:7313], NSLocalizedDescription=Het voorbereiden van de software-update is mislukt. Probeer het opnieuw.}}, NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=Het voorbereiden van de software-update is mislukt. Probeer het opnieuw., 

What caught my attention was OAHSoftwareUpdateController returned no Rosetta updates found.

That seems to be the root cause of the upgrade failure.

Anybody with a solution for this?

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 9:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 8:26 AM

A new day, a new attempt.

I read the advice, in similar threads about almost the same problem I have, to upgrade Monterey from the App Store.

Well, that works.

I'm typing this from my upgraded mac mini!

Similar questions

9 replies

Mar 15, 2022 9:44 AM in response to funxiun

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac , This will include BitDefender

This will included Norton Antivirus , Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus, McAfee, MacKeeper, Avast AntiVirus

Ad Guard, Webroot

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Mar 15, 2022 10:56 AM in response to funxiun

The " Reinstall macOS " in the context of the original reply, references the listed Applications that should be removed.

Understand, any or all of them may have / shall either corrupts, modify, alter or otherwise cause havoc to the OS.

The reinstallation may or may not be required to replace corrupted elements of the OS caused on any or all the the above listed applications.

Updating to Monterey from Big Sur fails due to Rosetta(!)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.