You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV on Sony android tv won’t let me purchase or rent through app after recent update

Updated my Apple TV app on my Sony Android tv and have lost the options to buy and rent movies. Instead of it saying buy or rent it now says “how to watch” and gives the line “you can buy, rent or subscribe to the Apple TV app on iPhone, iPad and other streaming devices. Before the update I was able to rent and buy movies through the app easily without using my phone, anyone know if this is an error or have apple removed the ability to make purchases through android tv ?

Posted on Mar 18, 2022 1:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 2:38 PM

Unfortunately the current policy is to not have in-app transactions for the Apple TV app on Fire TV, Android TV, and Sony TV. I knew about Fire TV for some time, but Android TV/Sony is new for me too.

Get the Apple TV app or Apple TV+ app on your smart TV, streaming device, or game console - Apple Support

On Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, and Sony TV devices, you can't purchase content from the Apple TV app. You can buy, rent, or subscribe on another supported device and then watch in the Apple TV app on your Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, or Sony TV device.
15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 20, 2022 2:38 PM in response to mickbelfast

Unfortunately the current policy is to not have in-app transactions for the Apple TV app on Fire TV, Android TV, and Sony TV. I knew about Fire TV for some time, but Android TV/Sony is new for me too.

Get the Apple TV app or Apple TV+ app on your smart TV, streaming device, or game console - Apple Support

On Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, and Sony TV devices, you can't purchase content from the Apple TV app. You can buy, rent, or subscribe on another supported device and then watch in the Apple TV app on your Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, or Sony TV device.

Mar 23, 2022 2:08 AM in response to mickbelfast

The recent loss of the “store” tab on the AppleTV app on Sony Smart TV is very frustrating. It only occurred a week ago.

I have tried a reset and it does not work - the tab is still there on my Mac etc and I can obviously still watch on the TV via the Mac. However, it’s far easier to use another app on the TV - I prefer to stay in the Apple ecosystem.

Will this be resolved and functionality restored…?

May 7, 2022 11:08 PM in response to Andrea862

My Sony TV from the time I bought it was letting me purchase through it to view anything I wanted on AppleTV app. But all of a sudden after having the TV for about 18 months it just stopped working. So, I thought naturally I had done something wrong. But now after reading all your comments I see it’s probably an issue with AppleTV app. It was just so convenient when it was working perfectly through the app itself. Let’s hope they rectify it and make us all happy little Sony customers.

Apple TV on Sony android tv won’t let me purchase or rent through app after recent update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.