You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting "This message has no content" on some Apple Mail emails

Sometimes I get a message saying "This message has no content" on my Mac Mail but don't get this in iOS Mail

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 2:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 11:39 AM

Hi murrayfrombirmingham,

It sounds like you see "This message has no content" on your Mac, but it loads on your iPhone. Is that right?

Does this happen with mail from a specific sender?

Have you tried clicking Apple menu () > Restart to see if this helps?

If the issue continues after a restart, boot into safe mode with these steps: How to use safe mode on your Mac

"How to use safe mode

Determine whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then follow the appropriate steps:

Apple silicon

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
  3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
  4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

Intel processor

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
  2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 
  3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window."

Once you test in safe mode, click Apple menu () > Restart to get back to normal. Let us know how it goes.

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 21, 2022 11:39 AM in response to murrayfrombirmingham

Hi murrayfrombirmingham,

It sounds like you see "This message has no content" on your Mac, but it loads on your iPhone. Is that right?

Does this happen with mail from a specific sender?

Have you tried clicking Apple menu () > Restart to see if this helps?

If the issue continues after a restart, boot into safe mode with these steps: How to use safe mode on your Mac

"How to use safe mode

Determine whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then follow the appropriate steps:

Apple silicon

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
  3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
  4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

Intel processor

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
  2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 
  3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window."

Once you test in safe mode, click Apple menu () > Restart to get back to normal. Let us know how it goes.

Take care.

Mar 26, 2022 1:25 PM in response to ryane77

I get the "This message has no content" on my MacBook but can open them on my phone or on the server. It happens randomly and not from specific email addresses. I have restarted my computer and Apple Mail. I also erased the account from my MacBook and reloaded it. That seemed to work for a few days but its has come back again and is random. I have not run in Safe Mode yet.

Getting "This message has no content" on some Apple Mail emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.