You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2021 to Thunderbolt Display Connection?

I have a 2021 MacBook Pro with 4 Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports and I want to connect it up to my older (2012) Thunderbolt Display that has the following ports:

3 - Powered USB 2.0 Ports

1 - Firewire 800 Port

1 - Gigabit Ethernet Port

1 - Thunderbolt Port

1 - Kensington Security Port

What wires, connectors etc. do I need?

Thanks

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 8:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2022 9:50 AM

Hello hank_2017.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. To connect your MacBook Pro 2021 with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports to your Mac Thunderbolt Display, you will need an adapter as shown below:

Adapters for the Thunderbolt 4, Thunderbolt 3, or USB-C port on your Mac

"Thunderbolt Thunderbolt icon or Thunderbolt 2  Thunderbolt iconIf you're using a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 cable with your Apple Thunderbolt Display or other device, use the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter

Cheers.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 25, 2022 9:50 AM in response to hank_2017

Hello hank_2017.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. To connect your MacBook Pro 2021 with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports to your Mac Thunderbolt Display, you will need an adapter as shown below:

Adapters for the Thunderbolt 4, Thunderbolt 3, or USB-C port on your Mac

"Thunderbolt Thunderbolt icon or Thunderbolt 2  Thunderbolt iconIf you're using a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 cable with your Apple Thunderbolt Display or other device, use the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter

Cheers.

MacBook Pro 2021 to Thunderbolt Display Connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.