You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I show my email as unread until I actually open the email?

When I look at my email account, all new emails change to "read". I want to keep my emails as "unread" until I actually open them.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 25, 2022 7:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2022 8:17 AM

kamonor wrote:

Sorry, I thought I checking the "Monterey" box was enough.
Details:
I was running MS Outlook on my old MacBookPro.
I upgraded to a new MacBookPro 14 two weeks ago and decided to use "Mail" rather than "Outlook" for emails.
Whenever I open "Mail", my new emails will change from "unread" to "read".
This bothers me as I cannot manage my reading list as well as I would like.
I hope this helps.

Q - " Sorry, I thought I checking the "Monterey" box was enough."

A - Not directly to you personally but have seen some persons Posting in Yosemite OS X 10.10 but profile showing macOS 12 Monterey

A - Per chance, is Mail being used in " Column Layout "

refer to below

EDITED

If the new computer is going to be the Apple Silicon M1 Equipped Computer - would suggest Only Migrating the User Account and nothing more.

1 - Apple Silicon with either Big Sur macOS 11 or Monterey macOS 12 Only Support everything 64 bit and there is no workaround.

2 - Issues that may exist on the older computer will be migrated to the New Computer. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

3 -  Applications, extensions and Software Drivers may or may not even work on the new computer.

4 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

5 - Due Diligence on New Applications and make sure they are Monterey / Big Sur compatible and factor in the ARMs CPU of the Apple Silicon Computer  

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 25, 2022 8:17 AM in response to kamonor

kamonor wrote:

Details:
I upgraded to a new MacBookPro 14 two weeks ago and decided to use "Mail" rather than "Outlook" for emails.
I hope this helps.

Q - " Sorry, I thought I checking the "Monterey" box was enough."

A - Not directly to you personally but have seen some persons Posting in Yosemite OS X 10.10 but profile showing macOS 12 Monterey

A - Per chance, is Mail being used in " Column Layout "

refer to below

EDITED

If the new computer is going to be the Apple Silicon M1 Equipped Computer - would suggest Only Migrating the User Account and nothing more.

1 - Apple Silicon with either Big Sur macOS 11 or Monterey macOS 12 Only Support everything 64 bit and there is no workaround.

2 - Issues that may exist on the older computer will be migrated to the New Computer. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

3 -  Applications, extensions and Software Drivers may or may not even work on the new computer.

4 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

5 - Due Diligence on New Applications and make sure they are Monterey / Big Sur compatible and factor in the ARMs CPU of the Apple Silicon Computer  

Mar 25, 2022 8:06 AM in response to PRP_53

Details:

I hope this helps.

Mar 25, 2022 9:31 AM in response to kamonor

Do have the "Preview pane" open (either to the right or at the bottom of the message list)?

If you do, then as soon as you move your cursor to one message and it displays in the Preview pane, it is considered as read.

If that is not what you want, consider closing the Preview pane altogether. That is how I use Mail, by the way.

When I want to read a message, I double-click it and read it in a separate window.

To close the Preview pane, just drag the separator all the way to the right (or bottom, as the case may be).

How do I show my email as unread until I actually open the email?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.