You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID Not Accept In Pop Up Box

I have exactly the same problem as Gene Suber Apple ID Not Accept In Pop Up Box - Apple Community so I copy below the content of his post (Feb 28, 2021) since there was no answer to his question.

When I go to my iCloud account, or even this site and go to sign in, I get the message from Apple ID, "Do you want to sign in to idmsa.apple.com with your Apple ID "name@gmail.com." The ID is the correct one. Under that is "Continue with Password." When clicked, a popup box opens that says "Enter the password for the user "Gene Surber" to continue. When I enter my password, the box shakes and is not accepted.

When I click on "Use a different Apple ID" then it takes me to the same Apple ID that is saved, and accepts my password (which is also saved). Clearly this is not a different account.

I'm not sure what is going on here, but I wold prefer to just be able to log on to iCloud and other Apple things without this happening. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it possible I have two passwords for the same account? I don't want to change the password to "correct" the problem if I don't have to as then I will have to sign out of everything and update everything. I'd just like to know what is going on and if there is a way to fix it.

I must add that, in KeyChain Access.app, I deleted all the items containing "appleid" with no visible effect.

Posted on Mar 25, 2022 4:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 2:54 PM

Hello AF38,

Apple Support Communities is a great place for help with your Apple ID and iCloud. To confirm, are you trying to sign in to your Apple ID on a Mac? If so, are you only noticing the box shake when entering the password for the "Enter the password for the user" prompt when it appears? If so, are you entering the password you use to log in to your user account on the Mac, not the Apple ID? If not, that is likely why you're having this issue. Try entering the password you created for the user account on your Mac when that prompt appears. This should resolve the issue and move you past the prompt.

If you're not sure what your user account password is, you can reset it by following the steps outlined in the article below.

If you forgot your Mac login password

If you have issues resetting the user account password, the following article lists the steps on how to successfully get that reset.

If you can't reset your Mac login password

Take care!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 26, 2022 2:54 PM in response to AF38

Hello AF38,

Apple Support Communities is a great place for help with your Apple ID and iCloud. To confirm, are you trying to sign in to your Apple ID on a Mac? If so, are you only noticing the box shake when entering the password for the "Enter the password for the user" prompt when it appears? If so, are you entering the password you use to log in to your user account on the Mac, not the Apple ID? If not, that is likely why you're having this issue. Try entering the password you created for the user account on your Mac when that prompt appears. This should resolve the issue and move you past the prompt.

If you're not sure what your user account password is, you can reset it by following the steps outlined in the article below.

If you forgot your Mac login password

If you have issues resetting the user account password, the following article lists the steps on how to successfully get that reset.

If you can't reset your Mac login password

Take care!

Mar 26, 2022 4:33 PM in response to Todd0213

Super ! Many thanks for your help. Yes, using the user account password is the right answer.

However since the dialogue title is

Do you want to sign in to iCloud.com with your Apple ID

followed by the : 

Continue with password

it seemed to me so natural to type the Apple ID password that I did not fully read the title of the next pop up window.

I would have been alerted if the above button title had been:

Continue with your macOS account password

Thank you again

Apple ID Not Accept In Pop Up Box

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.