You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine

I cannot put any other files on my external disk used with Time Machine. In other words, use the Time Machine disk to store misc. files. In previous OS versions, one could.

Mac mini, macOS 12.1

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 10:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 10:35 AM

You should not intermix them. It can create a real mess by doing so. I strongly suggest that you either get another external disk for saving files separately or that you partition the existing external disk so you can devote each partition to either backups or saved files. That's assuming that the external disk is large enough for doing this. If you check, I think you will find that these days external disks are reasonably priced, compact and very easy to install with vendor provided USB cables. Most no longer require any external power source. You may have to reformat the disk, however. Easy and done.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 26, 2022 10:35 AM in response to vonseg

You should not intermix them. It can create a real mess by doing so. I strongly suggest that you either get another external disk for saving files separately or that you partition the existing external disk so you can devote each partition to either backups or saved files. That's assuming that the external disk is large enough for doing this. If you check, I think you will find that these days external disks are reasonably priced, compact and very easy to install with vendor provided USB cables. Most no longer require any external power source. You may have to reformat the disk, however. Easy and done.

Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.