You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot delete folder

Hello everyone!

I try delete folders /Users/sergeisidorkin/.Trash/archive

I was getting an "The operation can’t be completed because the item is in use." error upon trying to empty the trash.

Here's everything I've done so far:

1) I rebooted in safe mode, and tried to delete, but that didn't work.

2) I went into recovery mode and ran First Aid in Disk Utility. Still didn't delete

3) I tried sudo rm - Rf to remove the folder and I'm getting a "rm: /Users/sergeisidorkin/.Trash/archive: Permission denied" error

4) I turn off System Integrity Protection, and tried to delete, but that didn't work.

Any ideas?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 2:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2022 7:26 AM

Create a new account and make it an administrator via System Preferences -> Users & Groups.

Logout of sergeisdorkin and login with the new administrator account.

Open Terminal and issue the following command:

sudo rm -rf /Users/sergeisdorkin/.Trash/archive

Turn SIP back on and login as sergeisdorkin and delete the extra administrator account if you don't wish to keep it.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 27, 2022 7:26 AM in response to Sergei-Sidorkin

Create a new account and make it an administrator via System Preferences -> Users & Groups.

Logout of sergeisdorkin and login with the new administrator account.

Open Terminal and issue the following command:

sudo rm -rf /Users/sergeisdorkin/.Trash/archive

Turn SIP back on and login as sergeisdorkin and delete the extra administrator account if you don't wish to keep it.

Cannot delete folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.