You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keychain passwords

I use Keychain passwords regularly. The access is through Safari preferences, entering the password for the computer. The computer that I set up keychain passwords will be going in for repair shortly. I am concerned that the passwords to various web sites, including banking sites, will be available. Is there any way I can secure my computer before I send it off for repair?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 3:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 3:45 PM

Hi,

A safe way would be to delete the passwords, then recreate them when you get your Mac back. Might be a hassle, you'll have to decide if it's worth it or not. I would.

A second option is to create another Admin user account with a different password and give them that password, but not your main account. That way they'll be able to boot the Mac to test it out as needed.

Option three is major: backup, erase the drive and install a clean OS, then restore when you get your Mac back.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 29, 2022 3:45 PM in response to robert_coady

Hi,

A safe way would be to delete the passwords, then recreate them when you get your Mac back. Might be a hassle, you'll have to decide if it's worth it or not. I would.

A second option is to create another Admin user account with a different password and give them that password, but not your main account. That way they'll be able to boot the Mac to test it out as needed.

Option three is major: backup, erase the drive and install a clean OS, then restore when you get your Mac back.

keychain passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.