You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What shall I do with my old company iMacs, which are not supported anymore?

We have around 15 good working iMacs which cannot be used because OS isn’t supported with security updates anymore. What can I do with these machines. For me it feels like very valuable machines and it breaks my heart that these resources cannot be used anymore. Any idea?

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 7:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 8:07 PM

1. Sell them however first prepare each per What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac or
  2. Please ship them to Apple for recycling. Apple Recycling Programs
9 replies

Mar 30, 2022 12:04 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you.

I don't see selling these machines as an option, since they won't be secure in other hands as well.

Recycling program makes sense in terms of sustainability to a certain point, but since these machines are already assembled and full of high quality parts it still feels like shredding them. These parts can only go back into circle as raw material, but won't be reused as assembled parts.

Mar 30, 2022 2:55 AM in response to VarianFry

They will be as secure as the users are secure in their habits. Brand new top security computers can get into trouble too.

Judging by the number of sites that sell older computers, and the fact that Apple does the same, tells me they are in high demand. There being few, if any, horror stories on the web relative to your claim tells me most people can handle the slight degredation in security.

Mar 30, 2022 10:53 AM in response to VarianFry

It is possible to install Linux on the older Macs, but it does require learning a new OS. Linux Mint is a good option for learning Linux as it is easy to install on a Mac and should work on older computers with limited resources. Linux is a great way of extending the useful life of older computers as it gives access to the popular web browsers (Firefox, Google Chrome, Vivaldi, etc.) and lots of free open source software including LibreOffice.

Plus as the others have said, some people don't care about using an outdated version of macOS.

Apr 1, 2022 12:15 AM in response to ku4hx

You are right, that security surely depends on the habit of the user, but if the OS offers entry points, which can be exposed without a wrong behavior of the user, then it is in responsibility of the producer at first to assure a secure system.

I don't know if this is a "slight degradation" and am not able to judge this. I am looking at this from a perspective where I assume that systems are basically kept safe and basic security is in place.

My question would be, is a support of security updates for older OS to elaborate to be delivered maybe 15 more years?

What shall I do with my old company iMacs, which are not supported anymore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.