You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Swapping the FN and CTRL keys on MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

Hello!

Is there a way for me to swap the full functionality of the `^C` and `Fn` keys on my keyboard.

I am aware of the option of `Preferences > Keyboard > Modifier Keys`.

This is like 3/4 what I'm looking for. The control functionality is added to the `fn` key but the Fn functionality is not swapped to the `^C` key. I could live with this if the touch bar didn't flash the function keys when I push `Fn`. There isn't an obvious way of stopping this from happening.

Thank you in advance for any and all help!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Mar 30, 2022 8:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 11:53 AM

davidpi32 wrote:

Hello!

Is there a way for me to swap the full functionality of the `^C` and `Fn` keys on my keyboard.

This is like 3/4 what I'm looking for. The control functionality is added to the `fn` key but the Fn functionality is not swapped to the `^C` key. I could live with this if the touch bar didn't flash the function keys when I push `Fn`. There isn't an obvious way of stopping this from happening.

These are two very basic baked in keys for the macOS, this might be a daunting request...

I see now Intel 2019 16" MBP—Touchbar

see >System Preferences>Keyboard if you can make it suit your needs

Change the behavior of the modifier keys on Mac - Apple ...

other possibilities—

Keyboard Maestro 10.0.2: Work Faster with Macros for macOS

ref: Keyboard mappings using a PC keyboard on a Macintosh

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/970299/keyboard-mappings-using-a-pc-keyboard-on-a-macintosh

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 31, 2022 11:53 AM in response to davidpi32

davidpi32 wrote:

Hello!

These are two very basic baked in keys for the macOS, this might be a daunting request...

I see now Intel 2019 16" MBP—Touchbar

see >System Preferences>Keyboard if you can make it suit your needs

Change the behavior of the modifier keys on Mac - Apple ...

other possibilities—

Keyboard Maestro 10.0.2: Work Faster with Macros for macOS

ref: Keyboard mappings using a PC keyboard on a Macintosh

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/970299/keyboard-mappings-using-a-pc-keyboard-on-a-macintosh

Swapping the FN and CTRL keys on MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.