You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro M1 Max 16 - Screen flashes black after entering logon password?

Hello.

I have a new MacBook Pro M1 Max. Whenever I go to logon and enter my password the internal display flashes black for a second or two and then the screen comes back and works normally.

I updated to Monterey 12.3 and it did not fix the issue. Surprisingly though - turning off FileVault did seem to fix the issue.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Is this a known software issue? Is this widespread or should I be returning this before the 14 days are up?

Thanks to all in advance.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Apr 2, 2022 6:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2022 10:08 AM

Spomo wrote:

Hello.

I have a new MacBook Pro M1 Max. Whenever I go to logon and enter my password the internal display flashes black for a second or two and then the screen comes back and works normally.

I updated to Monterey 12.3 and it did not fix the issue. Surprisingly though - turning off FileVault did seem to fix the issue.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Is this a known software issue? Is this widespread or should I be returning this before the 14 days are up?

If no further issue I would not be concerned... it sounds like software glitch.

If it bugs you— try reinstalling the macOS on top of your existing macOS

reinstall macOS Recovery — How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

the current stable release of Monterey macOS is 12.3.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

you can file a bug report here— submit your Apple Feedback Product Feedback - Apple or here

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 2, 2022 10:08 AM in response to Spomo

Spomo wrote:

Hello.

If no further issue I would not be concerned... it sounds like software glitch.

If it bugs you— try reinstalling the macOS on top of your existing macOS

reinstall macOS Recovery — How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

the current stable release of Monterey macOS is 12.3.1

you can file a bug report here— submit your Apple Feedback Product Feedback - Apple or here

Feedback - macOS - Apple

MacBook Pro M1 Max 16 - Screen flashes black after entering logon password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.