You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to tell when iCloud is finished downloading originals to mac?

I am trying to download my photos/videos from iCloud so I can back them up to an external hard drive. If only there were a way to export directly from iCloud without having to first export to Mac. To use iCloud for its intended purpose of freeing up local storage while retaining data, you have to allow it to unload said data on your local storage. This is stone-age level technology.

I have clicked "download originals to my computer," but iCloud provides zero transparency into the status of my download process. Photos shows "102, 903 photos, 3,806 videos" and underneath that, "Downloading 32,845 originals." That number hasn't changed in weeks. I have no idea what the snag is or if it's in the process of being resolved. Will I receive a notification when all of the originals have downloaded? Nope. Will I even receive a list of everything that failed to download? Nope. Why do I put any effort into backing up my photos when I ultimately have to accept whatever iCloud is able to spit up?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 7:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 10:48 PM

It is not normal, that the status bar "downloading ..." has not been updated in weeks.

Check, how much free storage is left on the volume with your iCloud Photos Library. Photos will stop downloading originals, if the free storage is getting low, less than 20GB or so. To force the download of more items, we have to use them, for example by exporting the originals.

The download may also not proceed, if you are using a cellular hotspot instead of Wi-Fi.

Photos may not be able to download and process items, that are in a format, no longer supported on macOS 12. You may want to check, if you are still having older videos or photos in a legacy format in your iCloud Photos Library. Legacy items will need to have to be removed and replaced by converted items in a compatible format. You may find some problematic items in a smart album with the rules

Match any:

• Photo is unable to upload to iCloud Photos
  • Photo is referenced

Also remove any PDF files or audio files that still may be in your library. Check the video codecs and image formats according to this list for iMovie (I could not find a similar list specific for Photos): About legacy media in iMovie for macOS - Apple Support

You are right, the lack of information about the download state is not user friendly. There will be no notification, if and when the download has finished. We can only test it by copying the library to an external volume and opening it there. If there are missing, incomplete originals, the thumbnails of the items will be blank. I am using PowerPhotos by fatcat software to copy my iCloud Photos Library to a backup volume. PowerPhotos will show a list of items that could not be copied.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 4, 2022 10:48 PM in response to amazonwarehouse

It is not normal, that the status bar "downloading ..." has not been updated in weeks.

Check, how much free storage is left on the volume with your iCloud Photos Library. Photos will stop downloading originals, if the free storage is getting low, less than 20GB or so. To force the download of more items, we have to use them, for example by exporting the originals.

The download may also not proceed, if you are using a cellular hotspot instead of Wi-Fi.

Photos may not be able to download and process items, that are in a format, no longer supported on macOS 12. You may want to check, if you are still having older videos or photos in a legacy format in your iCloud Photos Library. Legacy items will need to have to be removed and replaced by converted items in a compatible format. You may find some problematic items in a smart album with the rules

Match any:

• Photo is unable to upload to iCloud Photos
  • Photo is referenced

Also remove any PDF files or audio files that still may be in your library. Check the video codecs and image formats according to this list for iMovie (I could not find a similar list specific for Photos): About legacy media in iMovie for macOS - Apple Support

You are right, the lack of information about the download state is not user friendly. There will be no notification, if and when the download has finished. We can only test it by copying the library to an external volume and opening it there. If there are missing, incomplete originals, the thumbnails of the items will be blank. I am using PowerPhotos by fatcat software to copy my iCloud Photos Library to a backup volume. PowerPhotos will show a list of items that could not be copied.

How to tell when iCloud is finished downloading originals to mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.