You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Protect Mail Activity won't turn off

Hi all,

After recently updating OSX, and Apple Mail with it, all emails by default are set to not load and display remote content. Although I appreciate the security reasons behind it, it basically makes my Mail unreadable.

So I go to preferences > privacy and switch off 'protect mail activity' and 'block all remote content' while at least retaining 'hide IP address'.

Unfortunately, this doesn't make any difference and it seems like the checkbox just doesn't work. Restarting the Mail app or rebooting my Macbook doesn't help, either. And of course uninstalling and reinstalling is not an option for Mail on OSX.

Any tips?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 6, 2022 3:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2022 4:03 AM

StudioGaar wrote:

Hi all,

After recently updating OSX, and Apple Mail with it, all emails by default are set to not load and display remote content. Although I appreciate the security reasons behind it, it basically makes my Mail unreadable.

So I go to preferences > privacy and switch off 'protect mail activity' and 'block all remote content' while at least retaining 'hide IP address'.

Turn it all off and compare your results...

Open mail app select Mail>Preferences>Privacy disable

• “Protect Mail Activity”
  • “Hide IP address”
  • “Block all remote content” —see if content for the email will load automatically

you can submit your feedback directly—

Feedback - Mail - Apple

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 6, 2022 4:03 AM in response to StudioGaar

StudioGaar wrote:

Hi all,

Turn it all off and compare your results...

Open mail app select Mail>Preferences>Privacy disable

• “Protect Mail Activity”
  • “Hide IP address”
  • “Block all remote content” —see if content for the email will load automatically

you can submit your feedback directly—

Feedback - Mail - Apple

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Protect Mail Activity won't turn off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.