You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem unzipping a zip file in the iPhone 13 Files Folder using iOS 15.3.1

Why do zip files with names containing a minus sign - i.e. my-files.zip get an error stating that "The operation couldn't be completed. Inappropriate file type or format"? Zip files without a minus sign in their name, upzip perfectly.

iPhone 13, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 9:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2022 8:40 AM

Thank you Amanda. I have concluded after testing that, in a windows environment, and using the standard Windows ZIP file creation process, the following is true:

1) ZIP files can be created with the characters "-", "(", and ")" in their names BUT they cannot then be unzipped or downloaded via most browsers.

2) The contents of a ZIP file can contain files which include the characters "(", and ")" in their filenames, BUT the ZIP files cannot be unzipped or downloaded via most browsers. Files with a "-" in their filename are not a problem.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 14, 2022 8:40 AM in response to Amanda239_91

Thank you Amanda. I have concluded after testing that, in a windows environment, and using the standard Windows ZIP file creation process, the following is true:

1) ZIP files can be created with the characters "-", "(", and ")" in their names BUT they cannot then be unzipped or downloaded via most browsers.

2) The contents of a ZIP file can contain files which include the characters "(", and ")" in their filenames, BUT the ZIP files cannot be unzipped or downloaded via most browsers. Files with a "-" in their filename are not a problem.

Apr 12, 2022 10:01 AM in response to laurencefromhaslett

Hi laurencefromhaslett,

File and folder names used with macOS and iOS can contain letters, numbers, a period or the underscore character. If you're receiving a zip file that was created on a PC and uses a dash in the file name, you may need to rename the zip file first, before trying to open it. We have more information on naming files and folders at Specify files and folders in Terminal on Mac

All the best.

Problem unzipping a zip file in the iPhone 13 Files Folder using iOS 15.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.