You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

right size all columns individually as default for column view

Hi - I would like to ask for help on setting a default behavior for a finder window in column view. Specifically, I would like all windows in column view to default to "right size all columns individually" - how can I set this as the default option? Currently, whenever an item is selected in column view, the columns rearrange in such a way as to remove the filenames from visibility, so you can't see other folders or even the name of the folder you have selected. I would like to be able to see all of the filenames in columns to navigate easily through folders and files. I am aware that I can do this individually each time I open a new window. The format of windows when the right size all columns individually option is selected is perfect, but I would like to set a global behavior that make such repetitive actions unnecessary. Thanks!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 9:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 9:44 AM

As far as I can remember if you set the Home folder to "right size all columns individually" any new Finder windows will follow suit. You would have to manually set any pre-existing folders.

1 reply

right size all columns individually as default for column view

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.