You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt 2 to USB 3 .1 gen2 via Adaptor

Hi:

I have an (oldish) iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) with Thunderbolt 2.

I just bought a LaCie d2 professional 10TB external harddrive that has a single USB 3.2 gen 2 connector.

I have an Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter:

The drive is externally powered.

Problem: when I connect the iMac to the LaCie via the adapter nothing happens (no blue light when clicking the front button).

Yet when I connect my new M1 MBP to the drive directly with a Thunderbolt 4 cable all works fine.

Does the adapter not work when going from Thunderbolt 2?

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 7:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 9:23 AM

Your machine supports USB 3 which is quite fast! You did not state how you intend to use EHD, for most day to day work USB is plenty fast. If you are a video or music professional then yes, Thunderbolt would save you time (which = money) and you should use that. However I am guessing you are not a video or music professional otherwise you would be using more up-to-date hardware.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 13, 2022 9:23 AM in response to CharPatton1

Your machine supports USB 3 which is quite fast! You did not state how you intend to use EHD, for most day to day work USB is plenty fast. If you are a video or music professional then yes, Thunderbolt would save you time (which = money) and you should use that. However I am guessing you are not a video or music professional otherwise you would be using more up-to-date hardware.

Thunderbolt 2 to USB 3 .1 gen2 via Adaptor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.