You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make available space free

iMac 2017, intel i5, Monterrey 12.3.1

I deleted a metric ton of files (well, to be honest, only 75 GB), and while available space shot up nicely, by the amount of stuff I deleted, free space did not (I only got 10 GB out of it). How do I make available space free? Should I try to defragment the drive? Is there a guide for this kind of stuff I just missed? Everything I found on apple support tells me to delete files, but it's not really working.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 5:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 5:43 PM

Most likely, your iMac has a SSD drive ... so you definitely do not want to defrag it. In addition, this drive should be formatted for APFS. Monterey will use two volumes. One will be a semi-permanent size; the other the "data" volume will dynamically grow (or shrink) to fit in the APFS container (what was known as a partition in HFS+).

See if any of the following article can help increase your Mac's storage space.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 13, 2022 5:43 PM in response to Zgriptzy

Most likely, your iMac has a SSD drive ... so you definitely do not want to defrag it. In addition, this drive should be formatted for APFS. Monterey will use two volumes. One will be a semi-permanent size; the other the "data" volume will dynamically grow (or shrink) to fit in the APFS container (what was known as a partition in HFS+).

See if any of the following article can help increase your Mac's storage space.

How to make available space free

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.