You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dear all,

I have updated my Mac to OS Monterrey last version. I have some doubts about how Photos is managing the files so I can avoid missteps and duplications.

1) I do not want to keep pictures in iCloud. Therefore I have changed the preferences to unselect iCloud. How do I know if the pictures are all downloaded and how to I erase it from iCloud?

2) I see in Finder Pictures file that I have a folder for Photos which has the date of the Photos setup but I still have an old folder with iPhotos library. Do you know if this is a duplication and if I can go and delete this older iPhotos library.

Many thanks in advance

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 2:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 6:51 AM

If you migrated your iPhoto library and are sure that all the images are safe in your Photos library, you can delete the iPhoto Library. Note that you won't get back as much space as you think, since the original images are hard linked.

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 18, 2022 7:07 AM in response to Keith Barkley

Thanks Keith,

Is there a way to check if the photos were migrated? I am not sure if it happened.

Also, any recommendations on my first question about - I do not want to keep pictures in iCloud. Therefore I have changed the preferences to unselect iCloud. How do I know if the pictures are all downloaded and how to I erase it from iCloud?

Thanks a lot

Dear all,

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.