You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple official procedure for creating a Big Sur external boot drive on an M1 running Monterey?

I have an M1 Mini, currently running Monterey, but I would like to be able to boot into Big Sur, the earliest OS I can use on it. In researching how to create an external boot drive for an M1 with an older OS on it, I have run into no information where I expected to find it, useless information, and outright wrong information, coming from formerly reliable sources: this forum, AppleCare, and The Genius Bar at the Apple Store. Is there any official description how to do that that someone can link me to? A choice of startup disks is still possible through System Preferences. Is it possible, or isn't it?

Mac mini, macOS 12.2

Posted on Apr 20, 2022 6:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2022 7:32 AM

I have not seen any "Apple" procedure for doing so. It appears that some external disks work and some do not with no pattern uncovered so far. I did it successfully a couple of days ago. That is documented in the following along with others users experiences.

on an M1, can a 2.5" SSD serve as an external boot drive?

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 20, 2022 7:32 AM in response to Birck Cox

I have not seen any "Apple" procedure for doing so. It appears that some external disks work and some do not with no pattern uncovered so far. I did it successfully a couple of days ago. That is documented in the following along with others users experiences.

on an M1, can a 2.5" SSD serve as an external boot drive?

Apple official procedure for creating a Big Sur external boot drive on an M1 running Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.