You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone bricked after changing apple ID email on another device

The settings on my iphone is essentially bricked after changing my apple ID using another (ipad) device.

I changed my apple ID (the email I log into apple with) to a new email. It worked, but I noticed the old email is still appearing on my iphone in settings, under my name. And it is asking me to re-enter my password. But it is displaying my old email on the “please re-enter your password” prompt, with no option to change that email. If I enter the password, it gives an “unknown error, please consider getting angry” message.

I have been trying to log out, so I could log back in with the correct email, but it also won’t log out either.

-> If I try to log out by going to settings -> my name -> “Sign Out”, it gets stuck forever on “removing icloud data”.

-> If I try to log out by going to settings -> general -> reset -> “erase all content and settings”, it gets stuck on “uploading data to icloud” even if I try to click “skip” on that part.

-> On my other device (ipad), I’ve tried removing the iphone from my account. It works, but the iphone seems totally unware that it was removed or logged out, and keeps asking me to re-enter my password, and still won’t log out or grow a brain about the fact that my email has changed.

-> If I try smashing my iphone on the floor and putting it through a paper shredder I think it would update numerous settings, but I haven’t tested this theory yet.

My iphone is basically bricked because I can’t log in, neither can I log out. This is Iphone 6s running ios 15.4.1.

Update: after trying for hours different ways to log out, it finally worked for absolutely no reason, and logged out, and I was able to log in with the correct email and everything is fine. Note to apple: all devices need to receive an update about the fact that the apple id email has changed! Or else, allow the user the option to change the email, on the “please re-enter your password” prompt!

Posted on Apr 21, 2022 7:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2022 11:02 AM

I changed my apple ID (the email I log into apple with) to a new email. It worked,

See this Apple article: What to do after you change your Apple ID or password

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply

iphone bricked after changing apple ID email on another device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.