You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Did Watch Update 8.5.1 Change Notification Settings?

I recently updated to watch OS 8.5.1 on my Apple Watch Series 5. Ever since I have been receiving an app preview whenever I receive a notification. It used to be that I just received a haptic vibration to let me know that I received a notification. Now I receive the haptic vibration and the app that I receive the notification comes on screen. I don't want others around me to know that I received a text message or an email notification because my watch displays it. I still want to be able to leave the always on feature on so I can just look down and see the time at any point. Is this a new feature of the latest update or how can I make it so I just receive a haptic vibration and a red dot on my watch to let me know I received a notification instead of everyone around me being able to see who sends me a message? Any help is appreciated.

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 6:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 8:34 PM

Found the solution. Show Notifications on Wrist Down was turned on. I turned that off, and the notifications went back to vibrate only and were discrete.

1 reply

Did Watch Update 8.5.1 Change Notification Settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.