You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Giving old MacBook to family member (easiest way to transition)

I want to give my high school son my old 2017 Intel MacBook Pro. Whilst I can factory reset it, I would prefer a fast way to transfer it when I don’t want it to go back to the original OS but keep the latest and I don’t want to delete all the programs on the device. I only want to delete my “files” and my settings. What is the best way to do it? Can someone refer me to a list of things to do to facilitate this change?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 3:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 7:23 AM

If you don't reset it it will be associated with your account. With the computer aassociated with your account ID the new user will experience many issues when using/installing/upgrading the computer. The best way to accomplish the transition to a new owner is to:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 24, 2022 7:23 AM in response to captaindaz1973

If you don't reset it it will be associated with your account. With the computer aassociated with your account ID the new user will experience many issues when using/installing/upgrading the computer. The best way to accomplish the transition to a new owner is to:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Giving old MacBook to family member (easiest way to transition)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.