You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Link icon (two interlinked ellipses) has appeared in top right of screen??

Why do these odd things always happen to me!?

This new icon has only appeared today, …I think, though I’m not the most observant of people!

Googling for an answer, I’m told that it represents a hotspot connection!

My iPad is not connected to any other device that I know of, I have even turned off my internet connection to see if that was the cause, but the icon remains.

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 2:42 AM

14 replies

Apr 26, 2022 3:35 AM in response to LotusPilot

Hi @lLotusPilot, here’s a shot of my settings > WiFi page, as you can see the WiFi is off and the link icon persists!

in answer to ckuan, I’m currently on holiday in my Apartment in Spain which is jointly owned with other friends.

we have recently had a problem with getting UK TV since our Satellite dish blew away over the winter!!

Others more technically aware than I decided to invest in a fibre internet install and a local expert who services Hotels and Bars with this sort of thing, also set up a FireStick, for us (which I think is likely to be less than legal!) to receive UK TV.

As far as I’m aware though, the “Moviestar” router is all above board, and it is this to which I’m connected.

Ithink maybe I’m beginning to lose the tenuous grasp I had on technology since my 75th birthday!

Apr 26, 2022 4:14 AM in response to Dirty_Lil_Monkey

What I'm trying to accomplish is a title that fills its available parent div width, but if its copy doesn't fit in the div it should truncate with an ellipsis. Additionally, it should also have an icon after it, which shouldn't disappear on truncation, but always show after the ellipsis.

Another requirement is that the parent div should have one or more buttons, of not-specific width, that stay on the far right, but if the div is resized it should truncate the long title, allowing the icon to show next to the ellipsis as I described before.

Thanks

[Edited by Moderator]

Apr 26, 2022 3:08 AM in response to ckuan

@ckuan, thanks but my iPad is WiFi only and is currently connected to my home network.

There are no other connections currently to my iPad however, “Auto Join Hotspot” is set to Automatic.

If I switch off my WiFi connection, the link icon remains visible so it cannot be that I am connected to a Hotspot, as I’m then connected to nothing! 😲

Apr 26, 2022 4:08 AM in response to LotusPilot

Curiouser and curiouser, as Alice said!

I’m sat here with my phone next to me, it’s a Huawei P30 Pro and the Personal hotspot facility on it is “Off” and “Connected Devices” shows “0”

Is it possible that our “internet” is being provided by a hotspot?

This is my first time in the Apartment since the Internet connection was made and I was just told to scan the QR code on the router to connect which I did.

As far as I am aware, I’m connected directly to the service via Movistar, the ISP.

Apr 26, 2022 5:16 AM in response to Dirty_Lil_Monkey

I’m not familiar with your Router - but it is perhaps possible that it can provide connection via bluetooth services.

Take a look at your Bluetooth device list. Listed under My Devices you’ll find a list of paired Bluetooth devices; anything that shows a status of Connected is actively linked with your iPad.

If you disable Bluetooth as you have already for WiFi, if the icon disappears, you’ll have demonstrated precisely which network interface is providing a network connection.

Apr 26, 2022 5:46 AM in response to LotusPilot

You are right, I do have just that one “registered” or “known” device listed under Bluetooth devices, now disconnected.

I have no idea how iPad managed to show that it was connected, my phone contract renewed 2 days ago and I’ve only used 50mb, so it’s unlikely that the connection was genuinely made as indicated by the phone, which confuses me how iPad thought it had actually connected!

Apr 26, 2022 6:01 AM in response to Dirty_Lil_Monkey

The hotspot connection to your phone being active does not, necessarily, demonstrate that you have an active Cellular data connection available to iPad.

As you are evidently “roaming” outside of your home country (i.e., are in Spain, the UK being your country of residence - the latter being where your Cellular contract is presumed to exist with a UK Carrier) - with the demise of border free roaming within EU countries by UK-homed cellular devices - you might not have data roaming, or tethering whilst in Spain.

This contractual restriction, if present, would not be apparent from a technical standpoint; your iPad would still connect to the iPhone hotspot via WiFi/Bluetooth, but may not have onward connection via cellular.

As for “how”, with your iPad and iPhone being signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID, your iPad will automagically (not a misspelling) be able to access your iPhone hotspot - unless you have chosen to disable Auto Join. From iPad settings:

Settings > Wi-Fi > Auto Join Hotspot > set to Never, Ask to Join or Automatic

If you change the setting to Never, your iPad will not automatically access your iPhone hotspot. Ask to Join will prompt before connecting on each occasion - where Automatic will, as might guess, automatically connect.

Link icon (two interlinked ellipses) has appeared in top right of screen??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.