You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Mac Studio M1 Ultra compatible with WiFi 6E?

Hi,

Just got my Mac Studio M1 Ultra and wanted to check if it is WiFi 6E compatible?

Regards Ismar

Posted on Apr 29, 2022 4:58 AM

13 replies

Apr 29, 2022 9:21 AM in response to n0nick

6E appears to be an extension of the high-end of the 5GHz band into what used to be reserved for router-to-Router traffic. It simply adds additional channels, and allows some wider channels. In most home situations, having those extra channels available is of no consequence.

The published specs do not explicitly say that Wi-Fi 6E is supported.

Users are reporting that the newest Mac M1 systems are struggling to work on 80 MHz wide channels in the high band. So if Wi-Fi is you preferred means of connection, you should proceed with caution.

-------

What has gone largely un-noticed is that Ethernet support has been extended from Gigabit Ethernet (which was already near-hard-drive speeds) to also include 2.5G bit, 5G bit and 10 G Bit Ethernet over copper wiring. As long as your cables are high quality and distances are modest, 10G Bit Ethernet speeds are attainable if your other equipment supports it.

I bought two high-end Wi-Fi 6 (not E) Routers recently, without considering their Ethernet capabilities. I have since discovered that one included 2.5G bit Ethernet standard, and the other had a separate Network port that was 10G bit Ethernet capable. Once I added a high-speed switch, all are humming along at top Ethernet speeds. Everything I much more responsive.

executive summary: The biggest Wi-Fi improvement will be using a Wi-Fi 6 Router with multiple wide-spread antennas. Wi-Fi 6E just adds more and wider channels at the high end. If you can connect using newer Higher speed Ethernet, it will be far faster than Wi-Fi.

Apr 29, 2022 10:00 AM in response to n0nick

First, it tells you that Wi-Fi 6 on the 5GHz-and-up band WORKS.

Also, it points out is that even with the Router very close-by [as evidenced by strong RSSI of -54dB] speeds attained in this 'real-world" situation are under 1 Gigabit. I expect that is typical.

The standard Ethernet on the Mac Pro 2009 model was Gigabit speed, and these newer machine can run 10 Gigabit Ethernet.

If you can run a cable, your speeds will be higher than typical Wi-Fi, and trouble-free.

May 3, 2022 11:32 AM in response to n0nick

As you may have realized by now, none of us know the answer. But the best guess is that it does not. Why? Because 6E is still in a deployment stage, there is almost no hardware out there yet, it operates n the 6Ghz range.

If you ask the question because you think 6E is absolutely required, it is not. As with all the various technologies, things are constantly in flux and the next “big thing” is always within reach.

And add to this that Apple has a long and storied history of not jumping on the latest bandwagon until it’s absolutely convinced the bandwagon is stable and perfected.

So if I were betting money I would bet against the Mac Studio supporting WiFi 6E. But that’s just me.

Is Mac Studio M1 Ultra compatible with WiFi 6E?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.