You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Monterey - Volume Permissions Issue

Just update my iMac and went to open Lightroom and it told me the catalog could not be opened because of volume permissions. The catalog is saved on my external hard drive that is also used as my time machine back up.

I added the catalog to a different drive and was able to open it, but I cannot upload new images from the external drive.

All my system preference are marked to allow read and write permissions

Posted on May 2, 2022 10:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 2, 2022 11:49 AM

Time machine turns any drive into a read only volume for the user. It must not be used for any other purpose other then TM backups. You should be able to copy the files off the drive to a volume that you can read and write to.

When all the files are off the TM drive and if you have no files in the TM back-ups that are not on your drives being backed up I'd erase the TM drive and start over with it only as a TM backup drive.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 2, 2022 11:49 AM in response to randyrataj

Time machine turns any drive into a read only volume for the user. It must not be used for any other purpose other then TM backups. You should be able to copy the files off the drive to a volume that you can read and write to.

When all the files are off the TM drive and if you have no files in the TM back-ups that are not on your drives being backed up I'd erase the TM drive and start over with it only as a TM backup drive.

Mac OS Monterey - Volume Permissions Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.